Is the Pursuit of Advanced Physics and Math Education Losing Its Way?

• Thread starter Physics4Funn
  • Start date
In summary, reality is the objective truth that exists apart from our thoughts and feelings. We search for reality through the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. While we may never have a complete understanding of reality, scientific inquiry allows us to gain a better understanding and approximation. Perception can often distort our understanding of reality, but through scientific investigation, we can separate our biases and perceptions from the objective truth. The search for reality contributes to society by leading to advancements and discoveries that improve our lives and allow us to make informed decisions based on evidence rather than speculation or belief.
Physics4Funn
How did you find PF?
Researching: Dark matter, Unified Field Theories, Casual Fermion systems
I have always liked science.
The laboratory is the supreme court of physical truth.
I've had a chance to study almost everything that I have wanted to learn about except hydrodynamics and GR.
Currently, 10-19, I am reviewing Dirac's QM and Weinburg's QFT, volume 1, QM.
Now that I am no longer in the academic wilderness, I am meeting and talking to people at UC Riverside.

I have always held the opinion that requiring research for academic promotion was wrong.
The quality, but not the truth, of published work is at the lowest point in my limited vision.

It is wonderful that Fermi Lab has a Youtube series of physics education.
The work of Physics Forums seems to me to be more important than most published research.
Again, it's just my opinion, but the lack of science education contributes to pseudo-science like climate change denial.
Thanks to everyone here contributing to science education.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. It sounds like you have been reading the threads for a while already. We're glad to have you. We have many amateur scientists here, including me.

Darn it. I'm having trouble spelling correctly.
Causal Fermion System
There is nothing casual about Felix Finster's work.
It's very mathematical - and non-linear.
But, would it not be reasonable that an idea that combines the complex Standard Model theory and the complex General Relativity theory be even more mathematically complex than each of them separately.
One nice physical property is that causality must be explicitly added to complete the mathematics.
Causality is not added as an afterthought to try to understand our world as all theories before this one in the past.

Thanks anorlunda.

All people make a contribution.
As Feynman said (paraphrased), if some mathematical technique can not be explained in words, then we really don't understand it.
I vividly remember him occasionally saying, I can't explain this so it means we don't yet understand it.
For example, I still have not seen a physical explanation for integral (0,1,2) and half integral ( 1/2, 3/2, 5/2) angular momentum quantum states and why bosons and fermions act so differently.

If you don't understand an explanation, it's probably not you.
You can ask for a clarification or look for someone else's explanation - or you have found a real, deep physics problem worth thinking about.

I'm not quite sure which forum here best fits causal fermions. Maybe quantum mechanics.

Butt have a look around our various forums. You can also use the search to find past threads about your interests.

The first post about causal fermion system was posted in QM, but a reply was that it should be in "Beyond the Standard Model" and the thread was closed.
That's not a bad decision.
Often, life defies classification.
But I did post there, BtSM, and as of 10-30-19, there have been no replies.
That's not unexpected.
Casual Fermion System is so advanced mathematically that there must be a very limited number of people who can read it.
Felix Finster is a professor of mathematics.
I am out of practice and it takes me days to read each page. My family consumes most of my time.

But sooner or later, someone better than I will read it and provide feedback on it.
As more people ask about it, it work its way up the "chain of comprehension" and it will be considered.

A big problem is that physics and math are so big, and people who can look at both are so few, that Finster has not broken into the physics stream.

Related to Is the Pursuit of Advanced Physics and Math Education Losing Its Way?

1. What is reality?

Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, regardless of our perceptions or beliefs. It is the objective truth that exists independent of our thoughts and feelings.

2. How do we search for reality?

We search for reality through the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to determine the most accurate explanation for a phenomenon.

3. Can we ever truly know reality?

While we may never have a complete understanding of reality, through scientific inquiry and critical thinking, we can gain a better understanding and approximation of reality.

4. What role does perception play in our understanding of reality?

Perception can often distort our understanding of reality, as our senses can be limited and easily influenced. However, through scientific investigation, we can separate our biases and perceptions from the objective truth.

5. How does the search for reality contribute to society?

The search for reality through scientific inquiry has led to countless advancements and discoveries that have greatly improved our lives and society. It allows us to better understand the world around us and make informed decisions based on evidence rather than speculation or belief.