Is the Series Absolutely Convergent, Conditionally Convergent, or Divergent?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ineedhelpnow
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, no problem. So in summary, the series $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{n^2+2}{3n^2+2})^n$ is absolutely convergent, as shown by the root test with the limit equal to $1/3$.
ineedhelpnow
determine whether the series is absolutely convergent, conditionally convergent, or divergent.

$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{n^2+2}{3n^2+2})^n$

how to do this problem?? :confused:

im thinking root test. but how would i tell if its convergent or conditionally convergent?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the way I am doing it, it converges to 1/3 but how would i tell if it conditionally converges?

How could it converge to 1/3 when the first term is 3/5?

what do you mean 3/5?

ineedhelpnow said:
what do you mean 3/5?

Evaluate the summand for $n=1$:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{1^2+2}{3\cdot1^2+2}\right)^1=\frac{3}{5}\)

$\sqrt[n]{|a_n|}=\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}\frac{n^2+2}{3n^2+2}=\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}\frac{\frac{n^2}{n^2}+\frac{2}{n^2}}{\frac{3n^2}{n^2}+ \frac{2}{n^2}}= \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}\frac{1+ \frac{2}{n^2}}{3+\frac{2}{n^2}}=\frac{1+0}{3+0}=1/3$

here's what i did.

how else would i determine?

Okay, what you mean is:

\(\displaystyle C=\limsup_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{\left(\frac{n^2+2}{3n^2+2}\right)^n}=\frac{1}{3}\)

In this case, $C<1$, and so the series converges absolutely.

how do i do it the right way?

ineedhelpnow said:
how do i do it the right way?

You have already demonstrated that:

\(\displaystyle L=\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{\left|a_n\right|}=\frac{1}{3}<1\)

and so the series is absolutely convergent.

so what was my mistake from the beginning? the 3/5 thing?

ineedhelpnow said:
so what was my mistake from the beginning? the 3/5 thing?

When you said:

ineedhelpnow said:
the way I am doing it, it converges to 1/3 but how would i tell if it conditionally converges?

I naturally interpreted this to mean "it" was the series itself.

oh i see

Related to Is the Series Absolutely Convergent, Conditionally Convergent, or Divergent?

What is convergence and divergence?

Convergence and divergence are terms used to describe the behavior of an infinite series or sequence. Convergence refers to the idea that the terms of the series or sequence approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. Divergence, on the other hand, means that the terms of the series or sequence do not approach a specific value, but instead increase or decrease without bound.

How can I determine if a series or sequence is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a series or sequence is convergent or divergent, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, the root test, or the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms of the series or sequence and comparing them to known patterns of convergence or divergence.

What does it mean for a series or sequence to be conditionally convergent?

A series or sequence is conditionally convergent if it is convergent, but its terms alternate between positive and negative values. This means that the series or sequence may have a specific value it is approaching, but the terms do not always increase or decrease in a consistent manner.

Can a series or sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series or sequence cannot be both convergent and divergent. It must exhibit either convergence or divergence, but not both. However, it is possible for a series or sequence to be conditionally convergent.

Why is the concept of convergence and divergence important in science?

The concept of convergence and divergence is important in science because it allows us to determine the behavior and predict the outcomes of infinite series and sequences. This is particularly useful in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering where these types of calculations and predictions are necessary for understanding and solving complex problems.