Is the series sum(1/n!,n,1,inf) convergent?

I think this is a bit easier, but that's just me.In summary, the series 1/n! converges by the Comparison Test, as 1/n! <= 1/n^2 for n >= 4. It can also be shown to converge using the Ratio Test, as the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1.
nameVoid
sum(1/n!,n,1,inf)
the only thing i can think of is
1/n^2>=1/n! , 1/n^2 being a convergent p series since p >1
thus /n! is convergent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nameVoid could you start putting some effort into your posts perhaps? In particular use the template and state your question plus your work clearly.

whats the syntax for definite integral

You should split off the first few terms to make the comparison with 1/n^2 more accurate.

The syntax for a definite integral is [ tex] \int_{lowerlimit}^{upperlimit} [ /tex].

1/n^2>=1/n! , 1/n^2 being a convergent p series since p >1

This is not true for all n, take n=2 for example.

If you are investigating the series

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n!}
[/tex]

then you can use

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac 1 {n^2}
[/tex]

and compare terms (and the second series IS a convergent p-series: I'm not sure what Cyosis was getting at).

I was getting at the fact that for the first few terms the inequality doesn't hold. So concluding right away that one converges may bit a bit of a jump hence I suggested to write out the first few terms until the inequality indeed holds.

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}1/n![/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{n!}\leq\frac{1}{n^2} , n\geq 4[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}1/n^2:convergent [/tex]
[tex]b_{n}=\sum_{n=4}^{\infty}1/n^2\geq\sum_{n=4}^{\infty}1/n!=a_{n}[/tex]
i believe there is a property which states that if
[tex]\sum_{n=c}^{\infty}a_{n}[/tex]
is convergent then the series converges for all n>=1 in any case here are the first few terms
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}1/n^2=1+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{16}+\frac{1}{25}...[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}1/n!=1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{24}+\frac{1}{120}...[/tex]
this seems to confirm things

Last edited:
Looks fine to me. Good work. But you might want to prove that 1/n! <= 1/n^2 for n>= 4.

Just as a side note, a series almost identical to yours--
[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}[/tex]
-- converges to a number that is familiar to all mathematicians. Note that 0!, by definition, is 1.

Does the question state explicitly that you need to use the Comparison Test? If not, then you may want to try using the Ratio Test, which I think works equally well in this case and you don't need to do induction to check what you're comparing this against actually works.

Denote [tex]a_n = 1/n![/tex]. Then see that [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} |a_{n+1}/a_n| = \lim \dfrac{1}{(n+1)!}\cdot n! = \lim \dfrac{n!}{(n+1)n!} = \lim \dfrac{1}{n+1} = 0 = \limsup |a_{n+1} / a_n| < 1 [/tex]. Thus, by the Ratio Test, this converges.

FAQ: Is the series sum(1/n!,n,1,inf) convergent?

1. What is the basic comparison test?

The basic comparison test is a method used in mathematical analysis to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It compares the given series to a known series that is either known to converge or diverge.

2. How does the basic comparison test work?

The basic comparison test works by comparing the terms of the given series to the terms of the known series. If the terms of the given series are larger than the terms of the known series, and the known series converges, then the given series must also converge. Similarly, if the terms of the given series are smaller than the terms of the known series, and the known series diverges, then the given series must also diverge.

3. What is the known series used in the basic comparison test?

The known series used in the basic comparison test is usually a p-series, geometric series, or a series with known convergence or divergence behavior.

4. Can the basic comparison test be used for all series?

No, the basic comparison test can only be used for series with positive terms. It also cannot be used for series with alternating signs or terms that do not approach zero.

5. Are there any limitations to the basic comparison test?

Yes, the basic comparison test is limited in that it can only determine the convergence or divergence of a series, but it cannot determine the exact value of the series. It also cannot be used for series with infinitely large terms.