Is the Slope of the Wheelchair Ramp Too Steep for Young Children?

• Thread starter homevolend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, a new wheelchair ramp was installed at a nursery for young children with wheelchairs. The ramp was designed to be less difficult for children to go up, with a required force of no more than 50N as stated by testers. With a weight of 30kg and a slope of 5°, the friction with everything regarding wheels is determined by a coefficient of uk = .10. Using equations Fg=mg, Fnet=Fa-Ff-F||, F||=Fgsinθ, and Fperpen=Fgcosθ, it was found that the ramp is too steep, as it would require a minimum force of 55N to overcome both gravity and friction.
homevolend

Homework Statement

There was a new wheelchair ramp installed at a nurserey. It was built for young children with wheelchairs to go up instead of the stairs and it was made to not be too difficult to get up. If the required force is not more than 50N like the testers say. If the weight of one child+wheelchair is 30kg, and the slope of the ramp is 5degrees, is the slope too steep? The friction with everything regarding wheels is by coefficient of uk = .10

Homework Equations

Fg=mg
Fnet=Fa-Ff-F||
F||=Fgsintheta
Fperpen=Fgcostheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found fg by using Fg=mg
Fg=30(9.8)
Fg=294.3

then I found the F||=Fgsintheta
F||=294.3sin5
F||=25.6

Fperpen=Fgcostheta
Fperpen=294.3cos5
Fperpen=293.2

So now I was thinking to use the Fnet=Fa-Ff-F||

But I don't know what to find or anything to actually know if its too step or not, I don't know if that above equation is correct.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi homevolend! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ and a degree: ° and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
homevolend said:
I have found fg by using Fg=mg
Fg=30(9.8)
Fg=294.3

then I found the F||=Fgsintheta
F||=294.3sin5
F||=25.6

Fperpen=Fgcostheta
Fperpen=294.3cos5
Fperpen=293.2

So now I was thinking to use the Fnet=Fa-Ff-F||

yes, that's fine :smile:, except i don't understand what your Fa is

now use the normal force and µ to find the friction force :wink:

Ok I am still not sure if I am using the correct formula to do the Fnet.

I did Fnet=Fa-Ff-F||

Fnet=50-29.43-25.6

Fnet=14.7

But that does not seem correct, I do not think I am using the right formula, Then once I have the fnet I do not know how or what else to find to say if it is steep enough or not.

hi homevolend! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
homevolend said:
I did Fnet=Fa-Ff-F||

Fnet=50-29.43-25.6

oh i see … Fa is the applied force

no, you're misunderstanding the question, Fa is not 50, Fa is the minimum force needed to keep the wheelchair moving …

so find what Fa is from your Fnet = 0 formula, and then answer yes/no is it > 50 (which would mean the slope is too steep)? :smile:

Got it I used the 0=Fa-Fk-F||

Got 55, so yes it is too steep because it cannot be more than 55.
"Can be no more than 50N" so does that mean its too steep?

homevolend said:
Got it I used the 0=Fa-Fk-F||

Got 55, so yes it is too steep because it cannot be more than 55.
"Can be no more than 50N" so does that mean its too steep?

Yup! :smile:

overcoming both gravity and friction would require 55 N, so the slope is too steep for someone who can only apply 50 N

Thanks for the help tim.

FAQ: Is the Slope of the Wheelchair Ramp Too Steep for Young Children?

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface and already in motion. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities and bumps on the surface of the object and the surface it is moving on.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and there is a force applied to it. Kinetic friction is generally weaker than static friction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction is influenced by the weight of the object, the roughness of the surfaces in contact, and the force pushing the object. It also depends on the materials of the object and surface, as well as the temperature and humidity.

4. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction determined?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is determined by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface that the object is in contact with. The value of the coefficient can vary depending on the materials and conditions of the surfaces in contact.

5. Can kinetic friction be reduced or eliminated?

Kinetic friction cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by using lubricants or smoother surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object or the force pushing it can also decrease the magnitude of kinetic friction.