Is The Speed Of Light Slowing Down ?

In summary, there is currently no evidence to suggest that the speed of light is slowing down. The first link refers to a different topic, and the second and third links are no longer working. The fourth link discusses observations from 2002 that showed no variation in the speed of light over cosmological time. However, there may have been further discussions since then.
Nommos Prime (Dogon)
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The second and third links you posted are dead; the first is really strange, and the last refers to a set of observations which were both difficult to do and gave marginal results; since 2002 (when the article you posted was published) there's been a different observation, based on a cleaner technique, which shows that [tex]\alpha[/tex] does not vary over cosmological time (to within a few percent). This was discussed at some length in another thread here in PF; I'll find it if you're interested.

The Links work fine from here in Australia (got somebody else to check it for me).

I don't see how thefirst Link is strange, it proves something is wrong with our measurements.

I've looked through the "cleaner" technique (I diasagree that it's "cleaner").

No matter, I'll leave it alone.

The first link does not pertain to a slowing speed of light. It pertains to the positions of pulses within a signal.

I didn't get a chance to review the second link.

The 3rd link isn't working for me either.

I'd be interested to see further discussion of the 4th link. Maybe I'll dig up that old thread...

FAQ: Is The Speed Of Light Slowing Down ?

1. What is the Speed of Light?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel.

2. Why is there a question about the Speed of Light slowing down?

Scientists have observed a slight decrease in the speed of light over time, raising questions about the stability of this fundamental constant and the implications it may have on our understanding of the universe.

3. Is the Speed of Light actually slowing down?

The current evidence suggests that the speed of light is indeed decreasing, although the change is extremely small and difficult to measure. This phenomenon is known as "cosmic drift" and is still being studied by scientists.

4. What could be causing the Speed of Light to slow down?

There are several theories about what could be causing the decrease in the speed of light, including the expansion of the universe, changes in the properties of space and time, and the effects of dark energy or dark matter.

5. What would happen if the Speed of Light were to slow down significantly?

If the speed of light were to slow down significantly, it would have a profound impact on our understanding of physics and the laws that govern our universe. It could also have implications for technologies that rely on the speed of light, such as telecommunications and space travel.