Is the sum of a rational number and an irrational number always irrational?

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, Ray suggests that to prove that x+y is irrational, one must assume x is irrational and y is also irrational and show that this equation is impossible to write in a way that is both rational and not irrational.
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement

show that if ##x## is rational and ##y## is irrational, then ## x+y## is irrational. Assume that ##x## is irrational and that ##y## is also irrational. Is ##xy## irrational?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

lol
##{1/2} +{√2}## [/B]is irrational.
##{{1/√2}}×{√2}=2 ## which is rational and therefore not irrational

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:

Homework Statement

show that if ##x## is rational and ##y## is irrational, then ## x+y## is irrational. Assume that ##x## is irrational and that ##y## is also irrational. Is ##xy## irrational?

Homework Equations

lol
##{{1/√2}}×{√2}=2 ## which is not rational

##{{1/√2}}×{√2}=1## in fact and this is rational. Do you know what a rational number is?

For the x*y part, with x and y irrational. They want you to proof or disproof that this product is irrational. Hint: you can disproof something by giving a counterexample.

Math_QED said:
##{{1/√2}}×{√2}=1## in fact and this is rational. Do you know what a rational number is?

For the x*y part, with x and y irrational. They want you to proof or disproof that this product is irrational. Hint: you can disproof something by giving a counterexample.
sorry typo error i have corrected i definitely know what a rational number is.

Chwala has a problem with brackets. I don't think it has to do with a broken keyboard :smile: .

In this thread I at first spied two exercises:
1. Show that if x is rational and y is irrational, then x + y is irrational
2. Assume that x is irrational and that y is also irrational. Is xy irrational?
Or am I playing dumb again and should I read:
Show that if x is rational and y is irrational, then x + y is irrational. (Hint: assume that x is irrational and that y is also irrational. Is xy irrational ? ).​

Anyway it's clear that xy is not necessarly irrational if x and y are. from the counter-example.

From post #3 I gather it is also clear that a rational number can be written as a ratio of two integers (hence the name rational...), right ?

In order to forward our lol (?) attempt on part 1, I propose we rewrite it as: show that x(rational) + y(irrational) can NOT be written as M(integer) / N(integer) . Would that be a good strategy ?

chwala said:
show that if x is rational and y is irrational, then x+y is irrational.

chwala said:
1/2+√2 is irrational
Not sure I understand the attempt. Is that supposed to be a proof?

chwala said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

lol
##{{1/√2}}×{√2}=2 ## which is rational and therefore not irrational

What happens if ##x \neq 1/2## and/or ##y \neq \sqrt{2}##? Just showing the first result for two numerical examples of ##x## and ##y## does NOT constitute a proof.

To show that something is irrational it's usually easier to assume it's rational and arrive at a contradiction.
In general when doing proofs always go back to the definition.
What does it mean that ##x## is rational exactly? What's the definition?

A hint at solution steps:
Assume ##x+y## is rational. What does this mean?
What does this mean for ##y##?

Ray how do we show this? in regards to your post number 6...

Look at the hint in post #7 once more ...

Related to Is the sum of a rational number and an irrational number always irrational?

1. What is the purpose of an analysis problem?

An analysis problem is a specific issue or challenge that requires a systematic approach to gather and interpret data in order to gain insights and make informed decisions. The purpose of an analysis problem is to identify and understand the underlying causes and patterns of a particular issue, and use this information to develop strategies or solutions that can effectively address the problem.

2. How do you identify an analysis problem?

An analysis problem can be identified by recognizing a discrepancy or gap between the current state and the desired state. This can be done through thorough observation, data collection, and analysis of the problem at hand. Additionally, asking relevant questions and seeking input from stakeholders can help in identifying the key issues that need to be addressed.

3. What are the steps involved in solving an analysis problem?

The first step in solving an analysis problem is to clearly define the problem and its objectives. Next, data must be collected and organized in a meaningful way. This is followed by data analysis using appropriate methods and tools. The insights gained from the analysis should then be used to develop potential solutions and evaluate their feasibility. Finally, the most effective solution should be selected and implemented, followed by monitoring and evaluation to assess the effectiveness of the solution.

4. What are some common challenges in analysis problem solving?

Some common challenges in analysis problem solving include identifying the root cause of the problem, ensuring the validity and reliability of data, and selecting the most appropriate analysis methods and tools. Other challenges may include time constraints, limited resources, and the complexity of the problem itself. Effective communication and collaboration with stakeholders can also be a challenge in the problem-solving process.

5. How can one improve their analysis problem-solving skills?

Improving analysis problem-solving skills involves continually honing analytical and critical thinking skills, staying updated on relevant techniques and tools, and seeking feedback and learning from past experiences. Additionally, practicing active listening and effective communication can also aid in problem-solving. Collaborating with others and seeking different perspectives can also help in developing more comprehensive and effective solutions to analysis problems.