Is the Universe older than we think?

"But it is still permitted by the laws of physics. Exchanging light signals with a hypothetical atomic clock at the surface of last scattering is not."

You mean because it would need us to be able to go back in time to put the clock there?
A minor inconvenience for a theoretical approach or thought experiment, as I understand the meaning anyway.

Thanks all, I have to take care of other matters now.

• Sad
Likes Motore
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tanelorn said:
So therefore, in both cases, we have to rely on theory and common sense, because neither experiment is going to happen.
What is the heaviest weight I can lift?

What is the heaviest weight Superman can lift?

We can come up with a way to predict tha answer to the first question with "theory and common sense" and a bit of data about me even if I am never directly experimented on. The second one founders on the fact that Superman isn't real so there are (and can be) no numbers to put in to whatever model you use to calculate my score.

Similarly, you have no way to compare clocks in the early universe to clocks today. So there is nothing to put into the theoretical model. It's not just "we haven't done it and it would be really hard", it's "there is nothing you could do even in principle to compare clocks".
Tanelorn said:
Because it would need us to be able to go back in time to put it there?
No, there are plenty of periodic sources in the early universe that can serve as clocks. The problem is you have no way to compare what a modern clock is doing to what an ancient one is doing. We can only look at the past clock, the past clock cannot look at us.

Likes PeterDonis
So, to be able to confirm any time dilation effect you also need the past clock to be able to look at our clock today. I didn't realize that this would be necessary to confirm any time dilation effect. Ok well I am not going to disagree (for now) except to say that it could have been said with less messages.

Tanelorn said:
except to say that it could have been said with less messages.
Because one of our number refused to accept that.

Tanelorn said:
You mean because it would need us to be able to go back in time to put the clock there?
No, because even if you assume that there was such a clock back then, which in a thought experiment you can assume since it does not violate the laws of physics, you still would not be able to exchange light signals with it, because that does violate the laws of physics.

Tanelorn said:
I didn't realize that this would be necessary to confirm any time dilation effect.
Even after you had been told that multiple times, apparently.

Tanelorn said:
I am not going to disagree (for now)
If you end up disagreeing later you will earn yourself a warning.

Tanelorn said:
except to say that it could have been said with less messages
It could have, if you had paid attention to any of them:

Ibix said:
How would you even compare a clock now to a clock in the past? There's a concrete meaning to "which clock is faster" in the black hole case because each clock can watch the other and send signals to the other. There's no such meaning to comparing one clock now to one clock in the past - only one can watch the other and only one can signal the other.

Ibix said:
How are you going to compare the tick rates of two clocks that are billions of years apart? If you can't come up with such an experiment then your question isn't well-posed enough to answer.

Ibix said:
I repeat again: how could you compare the rates of two clocks billions of years apart?

Ibix said:
How are your clocks in the past and the present even in theory going to exchange light signals? This is the question you seem to be just hoping will go away if you repeat "theoretical" often enough. It won't. You still need an experimental setup to describe in the model. If you don't, you have nothing to describe with the theoretical model.

Ibix said:
The problem with "did time run faster in the early universe" is that we can never have the early universe and the current universe side-by-side to compare clocks.

By my count that's five previous messages just from @Ibix alone that you didn't pay attention to.

Likes weirdoguy, Ibix, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
The OP question has been answered and the sidebar has gone on long enough. Thread closed.

Likes russ_watters