Is the Upthrust Equation for Fully Submerged Objects Incorrect?

• Thread starter Olivia197
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Upthrust
In summary: Other factors and the solution pushes the solution toward the normal hydrostatic pressure equation when the OP realizes the impact of the constraints the answer adds.
Olivia197
Please may somebody explain why this equation for the pressure at the bottom of a fully submerged object is wrong (assuming it is a cube). Thank you!

Pressure = ( density of the fluid x h[1] x g ) + ( density of the cube x (h[2] - h[1] ) x g)

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think it's wrong?

Why do you expect it to be right?
How do you imagine the pressure distribution close to the edge of the object? Jumping?

Is this a static situation? If you include dynamics, things get more complicated.

Mister T said:
What makes you think it's wrong?
Well, in my textbook it says that the pressure is the density of the liquid x h [2] x g.

mfb said:
Why do you expect it to be right?
How do you imagine the pressure distribution close to the edge of the object? Jumping?

Is this a static situation? If you include dynamics, things get more complicated.
Sorry I am not quite sure what you mean!

Olivia197 said:
Well, in my textbook it says that the pressure is the density of the liquid x h [2] x g.

Then anything different from that would be wrong. It seems to me that you've answered your own question.

Olivia197 said:
Please may somebody explain why this equation for the pressure at the bottom of a fully submerged object is wrong

Olivia197 said:
Sorry I am not quite sure what you mean!
Well, reduce it to the first question: why do you expect your expression to be right?

Likes sophiecentaur
mfb said:
Well, reduce it to the first question: why do you expect your expression to be right?
Could (s)he express, in words, what that equation is describing? That may help with the understanding.

That equation might work -- is the object neutrally, positively or negatively buoyant? Is it moving or constrained not to move?

russ_watters said:
That equation might work -- is the object neutrally, positively or negatively buoyant? Is it moving or constrained not to move?
I see where you are going with this but the hydrostatic pressure is not really affected by the density of the object (or the object at all). The pressure at the bottom face is due to the column of fluid, rather than the object (unless there is some extra factor involved that we haven't been told about).

sophiecentaur said:
I see where you are going with this but the hydrostatic pressure is not really affected by the density of the object (or the object at all). The pressure at the bottom face is due to the column of fluid, rather than the object (unless there is some extra factor involved that we haven't been told about).
The answer to my question is "other factors" and will actually push the solution toward the normal hydrostatic pressure equation when the OP realizes the impact of the constraints the answer adds.

FAQ: Is the Upthrust Equation for Fully Submerged Objects Incorrect?

1. What is the Upthrust Equation and why is it important?

The Upthrust Equation, also known as Archimedes' principle, is a fundamental law of physics that describes the buoyant force experienced by an object immersed in a fluid. It states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This equation is important because it helps to explain why objects float or sink in fluids, and is crucial in many engineering and scientific applications.

2. What is the incorrect version of the Upthrust Equation?

The incorrect version of the Upthrust Equation often seen is the statement that "an object will float if its weight is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces." This is incorrect because it ignores the effects of density and volume on the buoyant force and does not take into account the weight of the object itself.

3. How is the incorrect Upthrust Equation derived?

The incorrect version of the Upthrust Equation is often derived by misinterpreting the concept of buoyancy. Many people mistakenly believe that objects float because they are lighter than the fluid they are placed in, when in reality it is the difference in density between the object and the fluid that determines whether it will float or sink.

4. What are the consequences of using the incorrect Upthrust Equation?

Using the incorrect version of the Upthrust Equation can lead to incorrect predictions and misunderstandings in various fields, such as shipbuilding, fluid mechanics, and even daily activities like swimming. It can also result in safety hazards and accidents if incorrect calculations are used in designing objects that are meant to float or sink.

5. How can the incorrect Upthrust Equation be corrected?

To correct the Upthrust Equation, it is important to understand the concept of buoyancy and the factors that affect it. The correct version of the equation takes into account the density of the object, the density of the fluid, and the volume of the fluid displaced. By using the correct equation, more accurate predictions and calculations can be made, leading to better designs and safer practices.