Is the Velocity of a Multistage Rocket Really Lower than a Single Stage Rocket?

In summary, the conversation discusses the result found in problem 7.1, which states that the velocity of a two-stage rocket is less than the velocity of a single-stage rocket. The person is questioning if this is correct because they thought the purpose of a multi-stage rocket was to achieve higher terminal velocities. The other person explains that the comparison depends on the use-case and that a multi-stage rocket is typically better for launching a certain weight into orbit. They also point out that in problem 7.1, the assumption is unrealistic as both rockets have the same final mass, whereas in reality, a multi-stage rocket has the advantage of a lower final mass.
musik132
The result found in problem 7.1 says that the velocity of the two stage rocket(v1 in the derivation in the link below) < velocity of a single stage rocket(v2). Am i misinterpreting the results since I thought that the purpose of a multistage rocket was to attain higher terminal velocities. If the derivation is wrong can you show me where because the mathematical operations and the logic behind it look fine to me.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/assignments/sol7.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it depends on the comparison. The typical use-case is "I want to launch x tons into orbit, how can I do that". There, a multi-stage rocket is better.
In problem 7.1, it is assumed that both rockets have the same final mass - that is completely unrealistic for the same payload. The advantage of a multi-stage rocket is the lower final mass...

FAQ: Is the Velocity of a Multistage Rocket Really Lower than a Single Stage Rocket?

1. What is MIT OCW?

MIT OCW (OpenCourseWare) is a free online platform that provides access to educational materials from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). It allows anyone to access course content, including lecture notes, assignments, and exams, from a variety of subjects.

2. What is the "rocket question" on MIT OCW?

The "rocket question" on MIT OCW is a problem-solving exercise from the course 8.01SC Physics I: Classical Mechanics. It involves calculating the maximum height a rocket can reach, given its initial velocity and angle of launch, while taking into account factors such as air resistance and gravity.

3. What is the purpose of the "rocket question" on MIT OCW?

The purpose of the "rocket question" is to provide students with a real-world application of the concepts and equations learned in the course. It challenges students to think critically and apply their knowledge to solve a complex problem, similar to what they may encounter in their future careers as scientists or engineers.

4. Is the "rocket question" relevant to other fields of study?

Yes, the concept of projectile motion and the calculations involved in the "rocket question" are relevant to a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. Understanding and being able to solve problems related to projectile motion is important in many applications, such as designing rockets, projectiles, and sports equipment.

5. Can anyone access the "rocket question" on MIT OCW?

Yes, the "rocket question" is available to anyone with an internet connection. It is one of the many resources on MIT OCW that are freely accessible to the public, regardless of age, educational background, or location. It is a valuable tool for self-study and lifelong learning.

Back