Is There a Bijective Correspondence Between AxB and BxA?

• Thread starter Unassuming
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bijection
In summary: WLOG' here is incorrect; assuming A to be empty is a loss of generality."In summary, the function g is not defined for sets A and B if either A or B is an empty set.
Unassuming

Homework Statement

Show that there is a bijective correspondence of AxB with BxA.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am lacking the general understanding of this. Can I create a function g such that,

g: (a in A, b in B) --> (b in B, a in A).

If A and B are sets, then are AxB and BxA the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just did create such a function. If (a,b) is in AxB, then let g((a,b))=(b,a), which is what you said, if not what you meant. (b,a) is in BxA. Now you just have to prove it's a bijection

Unassuming said:

Homework Statement

Show that there is a bijective correspondence of AxB with BxA.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am lacking the general understanding of this. Can I create a function g such that,

Yes, you can do that. Now you have to prove that is a "bijection": its both "one-to-one" (an injection) and "onto", (a surjection).

If A and B are sets, then are AxB and BxA the same?
No, absolutely not! But there exist an injection between them so they have the same "cardinality". For example, if A= {x} and B= {y} then A x B= {(a, b)} and B x A= {(b, a)}. Those two sets have the same cardinality (1) but are different sets because they contain different pairs: as an ordered pair, (a, b) is NOT the same as (b, a).

Unassuming said:

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, you can do that. Now you have to prove that is a "bijection": its both "one-to-one" (an injection) and "onto", (a surjection).

But only if WLOG A is not an empty set, because the Zermelo–Fraenkel set theory (the standard set theory) defines in the "axiom of empty set" that there isn't an a in A.

[tex]\exists X\, \forall y\, \lnot (y \in X)[/tex]

And do not forget to make your answer save to sets with infinite cardinality.

Gnollenbaum said:
But only if WLOG A is not an empty set, because the Zermelo–Fraenkel set theory (the standard set theory) defines in the "axiom of empty set" that there isn't an a in A.

And do not forget to make your answer save to sets with infinite cardinality.

It's not clear exactly what you're saying. But it doesn't seem to be relevant to anything anyone else said.

Sorry, my english is not very good, but i will try to explain it.

You can not prove a bijective correspondence of AxB with BxA for any set A, B by an function that says nothing for empty sets.

The function says:
g: (a in A, b in B) --> (b in B, a in A)

The "axiom of empty set" says:
It means that there is an set A with no a in A. We call it emtpy set.

If you look again at the function g you will see that it is not defined for empty sets. Because if WLOG (Without loss of generality) A is the empty set, there is no a in A and so you don't know what (a in A, b in B) --> (b in B, a in A) means, or do you know what (,) -> (,) means?

So if you prove that g: (a in A, b in B) --> (b in B, a in A) is bijective, than you only know that there is a bijective correspondence of AxB with BxA when neither A nor B is an empty set.
Sure it is trivial that there is a bijective correspondence of {} and {}, but if you have to answer an basic question it should be an complete anwser without the "trivial"-option.

If i have to correct such an answer i would mark this point red, so i wanted to show this point before anyone will really mark this answer red.

Last edited:
Actually, the function definition [itex]f:A \times B \rightarrow B \times A: (a,\ b) \mapsto (b,\ a)[/itex] is perfectly valid even in the case where at least one of A or B are empty. Why? Because in that case, [itex]A \times B = \emptyset[/itex], so it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuous_truth" ).

Last edited by a moderator:
knollen baum said:
Because if WLOG (Without loss of generality) A is the empty set,
You're use of 'WLOG' here is incorrect; assuming A to be empty is a loss of generality.

Hurkyl said:
You're use of 'WLOG' here is incorrect; assuming A to be empty is a loss of generality.

"Your use of 'WLOG'":devil:

FAQ: Is There a Bijective Correspondence Between AxB and BxA?

1. What is a bijection?

A bijection is a mathematical function that establishes a one-to-one correspondence between two sets. This means that every element in one set is paired with a unique element in the other set, and vice versa.

2. How is a bijection different from other types of functions?

A bijection is unique because it has both an injective and surjective property. This means that each element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the range, and every element in the range has a corresponding element in the domain.

3. What is the significance of a bijection between AxB and BxA?

A bijection between AxB and BxA demonstrates that the two sets have the same cardinality, or number of elements. This means that the two sets are equivalent in size and can be used interchangeably in certain mathematical operations.

4. How can a bijection be proven between AxB and BxA?

A bijection can be proven by showing that there exists a function that is both injective and surjective between the two sets. This can be done by explicitly defining the function or by showing that it is possible to map each element in one set to a unique element in the other set and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world applications of bijections?

Bijections have many practical applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and economics. For example, in computer science, bijections are used in data compression and encryption algorithms. In economics, bijections are used to model supply and demand relationships. They are also used in encryption techniques to ensure secure communication and data transfer.

Back