Is there a Bound for x(t) in Terms of C_1 and C_2?

• Thread starter motherh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bounded
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the function x(t) is bounded on the interval [0, T] based on given conditions. The use of Gronwall's inequality is considered, but it is ultimately determined that it is not applicable in this case. The conversation also raises the question of what logx(s) means and suggests using it in the solution.
motherh
Hi, I want to answer the following question:

x=x(t) is continuous on [0,T) and satisfies

1 ≤ x(t) ≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex] + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] x(s)(1+logx(s)) ds

for 0 ≤ t < T. Prove x(t) is bounded on [0,T].Using Gronwall's inequality I get to

x(t) ≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex] ∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] (1+logx(s)) ds )

≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex]t + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] logx(s) ds )

Can I say that this is less than C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex]T + ∫[itex]^{T}_{0}[/itex] logx(s) ds ) ?

I'm not too sure where to proceed from here. Would it be helpful to use x(s) > logx(s)?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anybody help at all? I'm not sure how to bound the integral of logx(s).

motherh said:

1 ≤ x(t) ≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex] + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] x(s)(1+logx(s)) ds

for 0 ≤ t < T. Prove x(t) is bounded on [0,T].
What does logx(s) mean?
motherh said:
Using Gronwall's inequality I get to

x(t) ≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex] ∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] (1+logx(s)) ds )

≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex]t + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] logx(s) ds )

Can I say that this is less than C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex]T + ∫[itex]^{T}_{0}[/itex] logx(s) ds ) ?

I'm not too sure where to proceed from here. Would it be helpful to use x(s) > logx(s)?

Any help is appreciated!

motherh said:

for 0 ≤ t < T. Prove x(t) is bounded on [0,T].Using Gronwall's inequality

Gronwall's inequality will not help you here; your bound is not of the correct form.

You have
[tex]1 \leq x(t) \leq U(t) = C_1 + C_2 \int_0^t x(s)(1 + \log x(s))\,ds.[/tex]

The worst case scenario is [itex]x(t) = U(t)[/itex], which gives
[tex]
U(t) = C_1 + C_2 \int_0^t U(s)(1 + \log U(s))\,ds.[/tex]

The right hand side is differentiable, so we obtain
[tex]
\frac{dU}{dt} = C_2 U (1 + \log U)
[/tex]
This can be solved subject to the initial condition [itex]U(0) = C_1[/itex] to obtain [itex]U(t)[/itex], and one can then check whether
[tex]
\lim_{t \to T^{-}} U(t)
[/tex]
is finite.

Related to Is there a Bound for x(t) in Terms of C_1 and C_2?

1. What does it mean for x(t) to be bounded?

When we say that x(t) is bounded, it means that the values of x(t) are always within a certain range or limit. This means that as t increases or decreases, x(t) will not exceed a certain value or go below a certain value.

2. How do you prove that x(t) is bounded?

To prove that x(t) is bounded, we need to show that there exists a certain number M, such that for all values of t, the absolute value of x(t) is less than or equal to M. This means that the values of x(t) cannot exceed this limit, making it bounded.

3. What is the importance of proving that x(t) is bounded?

Proving that x(t) is bounded is important because it helps us understand the behavior and limitations of a function. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the function based on its boundedness.

4. Can x(t) be both bounded and unbounded?

No, a function cannot be both bounded and unbounded. If a function is bounded, it means that it has a limit or range of values, while an unbounded function has no limit and can increase or decrease without bound.

5. How does the boundedness of x(t) affect its derivative?

If x(t) is bounded, then its derivative will also be bounded. This means that the rate of change of x(t) will always be within a certain limit, making it a predictable and stable function.