Is There a Difference in X-ray Spectra from Photon-in vs Electron-in?

• Thread starter valerie.p
  • Start date
In summary, there is a difference in the X-ray spectra obtained from the relaxation after the hole creation by photon or electron, with the former resulting in a higher peak and the latter resulting in a higher background due to Bremsstrahlung radiation.
valerie.p
Hi
I'm studying physical engineering (i'm italian, sorry for my english :))
I've a question about X ray spectra.

Now, both photon and electron can create a hole in a core level
and the photoelectric effect (photoemission) refers only to the first case, right? (and the ejected electron is called photoelectron )

after the creation of the hole the atom rearranges in order to return to its ground state, going through what is called "relaxation"
- through Auger electron emission (->aes)
- through X ray fluorescence

consider the latter. now you can obtain an x ray spectrum ..
the point is: is there any difference in the xray spectra obtained from the relaxation after the hole creation by "photon in" or "electron in" ?
(maybe the bremsstrahlung background.. )

thanks

Valeria

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a difference in the X-ray spectra obtained from relaxation after the hole creation by "photon in" or "electron in". The X-ray spectra obtained from the relaxation after the hole created by photon will have a much higher peak due to the photoelectric effect. On the other hand, the X-ray spectra obtained from the relaxation after the hole created by electron will have a much lower peak due to the Auger effect. In addition, the X-ray spectra obtained from the relaxation after the hole created by electron will have a much higher background due to the Bremsstrahlung radiation.

FAQ: Is There a Difference in X-ray Spectra from Photon-in vs Electron-in?

1. What is XPS?

XPS stands for X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. It is a surface-sensitive analytical technique used to determine the elemental composition and chemical state of a material.

2. What is the difference between photon-in and electron-in XPS?

The main difference between photon-in and electron-in XPS is the type of excitation source used. Photon-in XPS uses X-rays to excite the electrons from the sample, while electron-in XPS uses low-energy electrons.

3. Which type of XPS is more commonly used?

Photon-in XPS is more commonly used due to its higher sensitivity and ability to analyze a wider range of elements and chemical states.

4. What information can be obtained from XPS analysis?

XPS analysis can provide information about the elemental composition, chemical state, and bonding environment of a material's surface.

5. What are some applications of XPS?

XPS is used in a variety of fields, including materials science, chemistry, physics, and biology. It is commonly used for surface analysis and quality control in industries such as semiconductor, pharmaceutical, and automotive.