Is there a faster way to do this matrix problem?

• Thread starter TheFerruccio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: P^{-1}(\lambda u)=(\lambda v+1)P So, if v is an eigenvalue of A and u is an eigenvector of A such that Av= \lambda v, then v+1 is also an eigenvalue of A and can be found using the same equation.
TheFerruccio
Is there a faster way to do this matrix problem??

Homework Statement

Verify that [tex]\mathbf{A}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf{\hat{A}} = \mathbf{P}^{-1}\mathbf{A}\mathbf{P}[/tex] have the same spectrum.

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathbf{A} =
\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
-22 & 20 & 10 \\
-4 & 20 & -8 \\
28 & -14 & 29 \\
\end{array} \right][/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{P} =
\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & 2 \\
0 & 2 & 4 \\
2 & 8 & 0 \\
\end{array} \right][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is asking whether two similar matrices have the same set of eigenvalues.

Conceptually, I would first find the eigenvalues of A, by finding the characteristic equation, which will be a cubic equation resulting in 3 eigenvalues as the solutions. In this case, I used a computer to find [tex]\lambda = 36, 18, -27[/tex]. I then find the eigenvectors of A to verify that the matrix P represents the eigenvectors of A.

After that, I would compute the inverse of P using Gauss-Jordan elimination, then multiply the matrices out to find the similarity transform of A. Then, I would do the same method previously stated to find the eigenvalues of A.

My question is: Is there ANY nice, fast way to do all of this by hand? This seems like an extremely arduous process. The first time I found the eigenvectors of A, it resulted in filling up a page with text 4 times (then erasing) and finally getting the right answer on the 5th attempt, purely due to my error rate with the arithmetic.

I surely must not be properly understanding the concept if I am doing all this work to achieve the answers.

Physics news on Phys.org

so say
[tex] B = P^{-1}A P[/tex]

then
[tex] B P^{-1}= P^{-1}A[/tex]

now multiply by an eigenvector of A, u:
[tex] B P^{-1}u = P^{-1} A u [/tex]
[tex] B P^{-1}u = P^{-1} \lambda u [/tex]

now consider what [itex] P^{-1}u [/itex] represents

lanedance said:
so say
(1) [tex] B = P^{-1}A P[/tex]

then
(2) [tex] B P^{-1}= P^{-1}A[/tex]

now multiply by an eigenvector of A, u:
(3) [tex] B P^{-1}u = P^{-1} A u [/tex]
(4) [tex] B P^{-1}u = P^{-1} \lambda u [/tex]

now consider what [itex] P^{-1}u [/itex] represents

For the second part, you are making (3) and (4) into another eigenvalue problem?

[tex]P^{-1}u[/tex], if u is one of the three eigenvectors of A, the solution to [tex]P^{-1}u[/tex] will be either

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{c}
1 \\
0 \\
0 \\
\end{array}\right],\left[\begin{array}{c}
0 \\
1 \\
0 \\
\end{array}\right],\left[\begin{array}{c}
0 \\
0 \\
1 \\
\end{array}\right][/tex]

I don't know what that's really telling me, because that's just a shortened form of the original [tex]\mathbf{P}^{-1}\mathbf{A}\mathbf{P}[/tex] which describes the behavior for three of the eigenvectors. Multiply by the corresponding lambda, and it would result in a diagonal matrix of the eigenvalues.

Last edited:
Consider what (P^-1u) means to B

lanedance said:
Consider what (P^-1u) means to B

I'm sorry. I don't see what it means to B. I'm not seeing the connection.

He is suggesting that if v is an eigenvalue of A, such that [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex], and you define [itex]u= Pv[/itex] Then
[tex]v= P^{-1}u[/itex] so [itex]Av= AP^{-1}u= \lambda v= \lambda P^{-1}u= P^{-1}(\lambda u)[/tex]

Now Take P of both sides.

Related to Is there a faster way to do this matrix problem?

1. What is a matrix problem?

A matrix problem involves manipulating and solving equations using matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers or variables.

2. Why is it important to find a faster way to solve matrix problems?

Solving matrix problems is a fundamental part of many fields, such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. Finding a faster way to solve these problems can save time and resources, making them more efficient.

3. Are there existing methods or algorithms for solving matrix problems quickly?

Yes, there are various methods and algorithms, such as Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, and QR decomposition, that can solve matrix problems quickly and efficiently.

4. Can technology or software be used to speed up the process of solving matrix problems?

Yes, there are many software programs and tools available that use advanced algorithms and optimization techniques to solve matrix problems faster than traditional methods.

5. How can I improve my own problem-solving skills for matrix problems?

Practice and understanding of matrix operations, as well as familiarizing yourself with different methods and techniques, can help improve your problem-solving skills for matrix problems. Additionally, staying updated on new advancements and technologies can also help you find faster ways to solve these problems.