Is There a More Efficient Method for Solving This Inverse Laplace Transform?

In summary, the student is having trouble with an equation in homework and is looking for help. The student is looking for a similar method to calculate the inverse Laplace transform which is not found in the workbook.
casper12

Homework Statement

Determine the inverse Laplace transform

Homework Equations

3s+9/(s+3)^2+7

The Attempt at a Solution

Converted to 3s+9/s^2+6s+16 to try and use the partial fractions method but getting nowhere.

I'm Not sure if Iam making the question more difficult, can't seem to put the division side of the equestion into brackets.

Attempt was (s-2)(s+8) but that results in s^2+6s-16 resulting in an incorrect sign. Can't seem to change the signs to make it correct.

Not sure if partial fractions method is the best method or if I'm making it more difficult than it is.

Any advice much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please use more parentheses (brackets) to make the order of operations in your expressions clear. Is that:

##3s + \frac{9}{(s+3)^2} + 7##

or

##3s + \frac{9}{(s+3)^2 + 7}##

or

##\frac{3s + 9}{(s+3)^2} + 7##

or

##\frac{3s + 9}{(s+3)^2 + 7}##

or something else again?

Sorry not posted many threads and not familiar with the way you have written the equation so well. The last equation.

3s + 9.
(s+3)^2+7

casper12 said:
Sorry not posted many threads and not familiar with the way you have written the equation so well. The last equation.

3s + 9.
(s+3)^2+7
Okay. The syntax used to display equations is LaTeX syntax. You can find some information on LaTeX by following the link at the bottom left of the Reply edit window (? LaTeX / BBcode Guides).

Are you expected to derive the inverse Laplace transform for this expression via the definition, or merely recognize its form and look it up in a table of inverse transforms? If you need to derive it, I think you would do well to take this to the Calculus & Beyond homework forum as it will involve integrating a complex function and taking limits. I suspect that the Cauchy Residue Theorem will come into play for finding the integral.

I agree with gneill. If you had ##\frac{s}{s^2+7}##, would you be able to find its inverse in a tables of laplace transforms?

The question is asking for the inverse Laplace transform of the equation using the table of Laplace transforms, all the ones completed in the workbook at not of this format so difficult to find a similar method to calculate. I have posted the question where you recommended, thank you for your help.

casper12 said:
The question is asking for the inverse Laplace transform of the equation using the table of Laplace transforms, all the ones completed in the workbook at not of this format so difficult to find a similar method to calculate. I have posted the question where you recommended, thank you for your help.

If you go to the Wikipedia page on Laplace Transforms, you will find a match in their table :wink:

Thanks for the Wikipedia info just seen the table which includes a lot more Laplace transforms than the info provided in the workbook. Looking at this it looks something like
3 x e-3t cos wt
any further advice would be much appreciated as I believe I may have wasted a lot of time on this question.

Thanks

casper12 said:
Thanks for the Wikipedia info just seen the table which includes a lot more Laplace transforms than the info provided in the workbook. Looking at this it looks something like
3 x e-3t cos wt
any further advice would be much appreciated as I believe I may have wasted a lot of time on this question.

Thanks
Yes, it's an exponentially decaying cosine. The Wikipedia tables can be quite handy.

Is there anything further you need to do with this question?

Related to Is There a More Efficient Method for Solving This Inverse Laplace Transform?

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the complex frequency domain and converts it back into a function in the time domain. It is used to solve differential equations and analyze systems in engineering and physics.

2. How is an inverse Laplace transform different from a regular Laplace transform?

The regular Laplace transform takes a function in the time domain and converts it to the complex frequency domain, while the inverse Laplace transform does the opposite. They are inverse operations of each other.

3. What are the applications of inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has many applications in engineering and science, particularly in solving differential equations and analyzing systems. It is also used in control theory, signal processing, and image processing.

4. How do you perform an inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform involves using tables, formulas, and techniques such as partial fraction decomposition to convert a function from the complex frequency domain to the time domain. It requires a good understanding of complex numbers and algebraic manipulation.

5. Are there any limitations to using inverse Laplace transform?

One limitation of inverse Laplace transform is that it can only be applied to functions that have a Laplace transform. Some functions may not have a Laplace transform, making it impossible to use the inverse Laplace transform on them. Additionally, the inverse Laplace transform may not yield a closed-form solution, making it difficult to analyze the behavior of the system.