Is There a Positive Integer k Making k*2^n + 1 Composite for All n?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thanks
In summary, to prove that there exists a positive integer k such that k 2^n+1 is composite for every positive integer n, we can use the Chinese Remainder Theorem and consider the congruence class of n modulo 24. By setting different values for k, we can cover all possible values of n and show that k 2^n+1 is divisible by different prime numbers for each value of n. This proves that k 2^n+1 is composite for all positive integer n. The hint provided suggests using the first 10 primes to check if 4097 is divisible, but it is not necessary for the solution.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Prove that there exists a positive integer k such that [itex]k 2^n+1[/itex] is composite for every positive integer n. (Hint: Consider the congruence class of n modulo 24 and apply the Chinese Remainder Theorem).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Notice that

[tex] 2^{24}=(2^3-1)(2^3+1)(2^6+1)(2^12+1)=3^2*5*7*13*4097[/tex]

Let n=24q+r.
We want to write down enough equation of the form [itex]x \equiv a_i \mod m_i[/itex], where the m_i are relatively prime so that the solution k to these equations will have the desired properties.
This means that for each value of r in [0,23], we need to have a congruence equation such that [itex] 2^{24q+r}+1 \equiv m_i \mod a_i [/itex]for some i.
Notice that if we set

[tex] k 2^{24q}+1\equiv k+1 \equiv 0 \mod 3[/tex],

this takes care of all the cases where r is even (by Fermat's Little Theorem).
If we set

[tex] k 2^{24q+1}+1 \equiv 2 k +1 \equiv 0 \mod 5[/tex],

that takes care of r=1,5,9,13,17,21 by Fermat's Little Theorem.
Setting

[tex]k 2^{24q+3}+1 \equiv 8 k +1 \equiv 0 \mod 7 [/tex]
[tex] k 2^{24q+7}+1 \equiv 128 k +1 \equiv 0 \mod 13[/tex]

we take care of all the rest of the possible r except 11 and 23. What I am unsure of is how to handle the cases of r = 11 and 23 without using a calculator to find that 4097 has 2 prime factors? But maybe I should have just checked whether 4097 was divisible by the the first 10 primes and found that indeed it was divisible by 17? Also, how would you arrive at the hint if you were working this problem in a test without the hint? Or is the hint kind of necessary?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Related to Is There a Positive Integer k Making k*2^n + 1 Composite for All n?

1. How can I ask for help effectively?

When asking for help, it is important to clearly state what you need assistance with and provide any relevant information or context. This will help others understand your situation and provide more targeted help.

2. How can I show my appreciation for someone's help?

Showing gratitude and appreciation for someone's help can be as simple as saying "thank you" or sending a thoughtful note or gift. It is also important to follow up and let the person know how their help has benefited you.

3. How do I find the right people to ask for help?

One way to find the right people to ask for help is by reaching out to your network, whether it be colleagues, friends, or online communities. It can also be helpful to do some research and find experts or resources related to your specific issue.

4. What should I do if I receive conflicting advice or suggestions?

If you receive conflicting advice, it is important to carefully consider each option and gather more information if needed. You can also try to get a second opinion from someone else you trust. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what you think will be most effective for your situation.

5. How can I repay someone for their help?

There are many ways to repay someone for their help, such as offering your own skills or expertise, providing a recommendation or referral, or simply being there for them when they need assistance. Remember to always pay it forward and help others in need as well.