Is there a relationship between \Delta H_{sys} and \Delta S_{surroundings}?

In summary, the 2nd law of thermodynamics states that a spontaneous process is likely to occur if there is an increase in entropy ( \Delta S > 0). However, this can be contradicted by the condition for a chemical process to occur, which is if the change in Gibbs energy ( \Delta G) is negative. This can happen when the change in enthalpy ( \Delta H) is negative and the temperature (T) is constant. In this case, the surroundings will absorb the released enthalpy, resulting in a higher increase in entropy for the surroundings than the decrease in entropy for the system. Therefore, the total change in entropy ( \Delta S_{total}) is still positive, following the
erty
According to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, a spontaneous process will occur (or rather: is very likely to occur) if [tex] \Delta S > 0[/tex].

A chemical process occurs if [tex] \Delta G < 0[/tex], where [tex] G = H - TS[/tex].

Example:
H = -100 kJ
T = 1 K
S = -10 kJ/K
so [tex] \Delta G = - 190 kJ[/tex]. In this example, [tex] \Delta G < 0[/tex] but [tex] \Delta S < 0[/tex].
Doesn't this contradict the 2nd law?

Science news on Phys.org
I don't see an S_{1} and an S_{2} so how did you compute \Delta S ?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I don't see an S_{1} and an S_{2} so how did you compute \Delta S ?

Daniel.

Okay, then
[tex] \Delta H = -100 \mbox{kJ}[/tex]
[tex] T = 1 \mbox{K}[/tex] and
[tex] \Delta S = -10 \mbox{kJ/K}[/tex]
because [tex] \Delta G = \Delta H - T\Delta S[/tex] where T is constant.

erty said:
Okay, then
[tex] \Delta H = -100 \mbox{kJ}[/tex]
[tex] T = 1 \mbox{K}[/tex] and
[tex] \Delta S = -10 \mbox{kJ/K}[/tex]
because [tex] \Delta G = \Delta H - T\Delta S[/tex] where T is constant.

If H changes, then that means that the system is not left to itself but is externally acted upon. So we are not dealing with a spontaneous process.

vanesch said:
If H changes, then that means that the system is not left to itself but is externally acted upon. So we are not dealing with a spontaneous process.

If [tex] \Delta H < 0 [/tex], then enthalpy is released from the system to the surroundings. It would make sense, if I had to add enthalpy ([tex] \Delta H > 0, \qquad H = U + pV [/tex]) and the entropy decreased, but that's not true according to the Gibbs energy.

Last edited:
If the system is isolated, a spontaneous process will increase its entropy. The Universe is an isolated system in itself, so entropy is always increasing.
But if there is a variation in entalpy (a decrease) at constant temperature T, for sure your system is not isolated. The environment is absorbing such energy, increasing its entropy in a greater extent than the entropy lost by the system (the variation, in absolute value, of the entalpy is grater than that of the entropy, as variation og G is negative). So the universe, the system and the environment, experiments an increase in entropy. This is the result of the second law. No contradiction at all.

erty said:
If [tex] \Delta H < 0 [/tex], then enthalpy is released from the system to the surroundings. It would make sense, if I had to add enthalpy ([tex] \Delta H > 0, \qquad H = U + pV [/tex]) and the entropy decreased, but that's not true according to the Gibbs energy.

No of course not. Take water. You extract enthalpy (you cool it). It freezes, and its entropy decreases...

vivesdn said:
If the system is isolated, a spontaneous process will increase its entropy. The Universe is an isolated system in itself, so entropy is always increasing.
But if there is a variation in entalpy (a decrease) at constant temperature T, for sure your system is not isolated. The environment is absorbing such energy, increasing its entropy in a greater extent than the entropy lost by the system (the variation, in absolute value, of the entalpy is grater than that of the entropy, as variation og G is negative). So the universe, the system and the environment, experiments an increase in entropy. This is the result of the second law. No contradiction at all.

I get it, thanks! [tex] \Delta S_{total} > 0[/tex], even though [tex] \Delta S_{sys} < 0[/tex], because [tex] \Delta H_{sys} < 0 [/tex] according to the Gibbs energy and the conditions for a spontaneous process.

Is it possible to calculate the [tex] \Delta S_{surroundings} [/tex], if I know the [tex] \Delta H_{sys} [/tex]? I mean, is there any proportionality between those two variables?

vanesch said:
No of course not. Take water. You extract enthalpy (you cool it). It freezes, and its entropy decreases...

Yes, but the [tex] \Delta S_{total} > 0[/tex], because the surroundings get warmer.
(Or did I get this wrong?)

Last edited:
erty said:
Is it possible to calculate the [tex] \Delta S_{surroundings} [/tex], if I know the [tex] \Delta H_{sys} [/tex]? I mean, is there any proportionality between those two variables?

If my memory is still readable, I would say that [tex] \Delta S_{surroundings} [/tex] is equal to [tex] \Delta H_{sys} [/tex] if volume is constant (more generally, if there is no work performed of PV type). Then [tex] \Delta H_{sys} [/tex] is the thermal energy transferred.
If there is work performed, then enthalpy is not equal to Q, the heat.

FAQ: Is there a relationship between \Delta H_{sys} and \Delta S_{surroundings}?

1. What is the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that in any isolated system, the total entropy (or disorder) will always increase over time. This means that systems tend to move towards a state of greater randomness or disorder.

2. How does the 2nd law of thermodynamics relate to energy?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics implies that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be converted from one form to another. However, each conversion results in a loss of usable energy, increasing the overall disorder of the system.

3. Can the 2nd law of thermodynamics be violated?

No, the 2nd law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and has been observed to hold true in all physical systems. It is considered a principle that cannot be violated or overturned.

4. How is the 2nd law of thermodynamics applied in real-life situations?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics has many practical applications. For example, it explains why it is impossible to create a perpetual motion machine, why energy efficiency is important, and why heat always flows from a hotter object to a colder one.

5. Are there any exceptions to the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

There are some exceptions to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, but they are limited to very specific cases and do not violate the overall principle. For example, in living organisms, the process of metabolism and growth can temporarily decrease entropy, but this ultimately leads to an overall increase in entropy in the surrounding environment.