Is there a simplified spin-orbit coupling equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a generalized and simplified formulation of the spin-orbit coupling equation, similar to those used for energy transfer between molecules or ions. The concept of the external heavy atom effect and the potential distance dependence of spin-orbit coupling between a molecule and an external heavy atom are also mentioned. The question of whether or not there is a simplified formulation for this effect is raised.
HAYAO
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello all.

I was wondering if there was any generalized (simplified) formulation of spin-orbit coupling equation like the ones we see for energy transfer between two species (molecules or ions). Foerster and Dexter's equation are famous simplified formulation of energy transfer. Multipole energy transfer formulation of lanthanide-to-lanthanide under the framework of Judd-Ofelt theory was also established. I know the equation for energy transfer is quite a rough approximation to the actual case, but nonetheless it helps us intuitively understand the effect qualitatively.

So then is there a formulation of spin-orbit coupling as well? Or is it simply just impossible?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is this "spin-orbit coupling equation" you are talking about?

You are right, I forgot to expand on that.

I was thinking about external heavy atom effect. I was wondering if there is like a distance dependence of spin-orbit coupling between a molecule and an external heavy atom and if there is a generalized, simplified formulation of such effect.

I know it also depends on the spin and the orbit of an electron, so I would just like to focus on the heavy atom effect, or the spin-orbit coupling constant.

Related to Is there a simplified spin-orbit coupling equation?

1. What is spin-orbit coupling?

Spin-orbit coupling is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the spin of an electron is coupled with its orbital motion, resulting in a splitting of energy levels in an atom or molecule.

2. Why do we need a simplified spin-orbit coupling equation?

The original spin-orbit coupling equation is complex and difficult to solve, making it challenging to study and understand the effects of spin-orbit coupling. A simplified equation allows for easier calculations and analysis of the phenomenon.

3. How is the simplified spin-orbit coupling equation derived?

The simplified spin-orbit coupling equation is derived from the original equation by making certain approximations and assumptions, such as neglecting higher-order terms and assuming a weak spin-orbit coupling interaction.

4. Can the simplified spin-orbit coupling equation be applied to all systems?

No, the simplified equation is only applicable to simple systems with weak spin-orbit coupling interactions. For more complex systems, the original equation or other methods may be necessary.

5. What are some applications of the simplified spin-orbit coupling equation?

The simplified spin-orbit coupling equation is commonly used in the study of atomic and molecular spectroscopy, as well as in the design of electronic devices and materials. It is also useful in understanding the behavior of heavy atoms and molecules, where spin-orbit coupling effects are significant.