Is there a solution for protecting a camera from oil-based ink mist?

In summary, the camera guard is quickly becoming covered in oil-based ink. It is difficult to access the camera, so cleaning it by hand becomes quite cumbersome. The person is looking for a way to protect the lens from the oil-based ink and suggests using a transparent non-stick film or chemical to help. There are a few options for the person to try, including using a goggle accessory called a "Roll-Off" system, making a clean air knife to protect the lens, or applying a fluorinated silane coating to the lens.
ionlylooklazy
Hello,

I have a camera I am using to monitor some items, and the shield for it is exposed to a lot of mist (oil-based ink). An issue I am having is that this guard is quickly becoming covered, rendering the camera useless. It is dificult to access the camera, so cleaning it by hand becomes quite cumbersome.

I was wondering is there is a transparent non-stick film/chemical (like teflon in cookingware) that I can apply to the shield (made of glass).Thanks,

ioll

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could try making your shield out of Pilkington Activ; this is a 'self-cleaning' glass designed for use on difficult-to-clean buildings. Normally works by allowing water to form sheets rather than droplets. May not do the same job with your oil, but it's definitely worth a try.

Can you make a clean air knife to protect the lens? Use a sheet of clean air blowing out in front of the lens to keep the mist away from the lens?

Also, in dirtbiking and motocross, we often use a goggle accessory called a "Roll-Off" system:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?item=STU_4051065432150

By pulling down on the little string thing, you roll the dirty strip from in front of your eyes, and are left with a clean strip in front. Maybe there is some similar automated system for cameras?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your contaminant is an oil-based pigment, you need something that will repel oil. A fluorinated silane coating is probably the best solution. Gelest may have something that you are looking for. I would look for perfluorooctyl (or perfluorodecyl) trimethoxysilane, triethoxysilane, trichlorosilane. Fluorous Technologies also offers one perfluoro compound (1H,1H,2H,2H-perfluorodecyltrichlorosilane) that you could apply directly to glass to achieve a perfluorinated, clear molecular film.

If these don't work you could also try a two step process to functionalize the optical surface with a reactive silane and follow it with a perfluoro compound with appropriate chemistry to link with the active group. One example would be to apply 3-aminopropyltrimethoxysilane (Dow Corning Z-6020, available from Aldrich Chemical, #281778-100ML) to the glass in the first step and an amino-reactive perfluoro compound in the second such as perfluoro isocyanate (Fluorous Technologies #F017032, (perfluorooctyl)ethyl isocyanate). The combinations of the two step procedure are nearly unlimited...

Related to Is there a solution for protecting a camera from oil-based ink mist?

What is transparent non-stick film?

Transparent non-stick film is a thin, transparent material that is coated with a non-stick surface. It is commonly used in the kitchen for lining baking pans and trays to prevent food from sticking.

How does transparent non-stick film work?

The non-stick surface of the film creates a barrier between the food and the pan, preventing the food from sticking to the surface. This allows for easy removal of the food and makes for easier cleanup.

Is transparent non-stick film safe to use?

Yes, transparent non-stick film is generally considered safe to use for food preparation. It is made from materials that are approved by the FDA and do not release harmful chemicals when heated.

Can transparent non-stick film be used in the oven?

Yes, transparent non-stick film can typically withstand high temperatures and can be used in the oven. However, it is important to check the temperature limitations of the specific brand of film you are using.

Is transparent non-stick film environmentally friendly?

Some brands of transparent non-stick film are made from biodegradable materials and are considered more environmentally friendly. However, it is important to check the packaging or product information to determine the sustainability of the film.