Is there a tool to measure resonant frequency?

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for quantitatively measuring the resonant frequency of wineglasses for a science investigation. Suggestions include using a computer program with a microphone, using a sound analyzer instrument, using tuning forks, or comparing the sound to a piano. The use of Audacity and a computer oscilloscope is also mentioned, with instructions on how to analyze the waveforms to determine the resonant frequency. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a spectral analysis for more accurate results.
michiru
For a science investigation, I want to investigate how different factors affect the resonant frequency of wineglasses, however, I need some way to measure the frequency quantitatively. Is there some kind of computer program that can do so through the computer microphone? And if so, would the microphone be sensitive enough to detect such a sound and give an accurate reading of the frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Speak to your art and drama department. There are several sound analyser on the market to do just that. These instruments were originally designed for stage use, so they may have one.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb05/articles/phonic.htm

You can download some simple, free, programs to use with the audio card.
For example:
http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/pc/001/index.html

Dang! I was going to suggest a set of tuning forks! I'm getting too old!

Another "old school" approach is to set the wine glass by a (tuned) piano, put your ear next to the opening and listen for resonance as you compare it to the piano notes. (Lightly tap the glass with a pencil to hear its resonant freq.)

Look up the frequencies and you should be able to get pretty good measurements. Even if the wine glass frequency exceeds the high note on your piano you should be able to pick out the note compared to one or two octaves below. And you should be able to interpolate between keys to a half note by ear.

The human ear is a pretty darned good frequency analyzer all by itself.

Hi everyone, I like the idea of using Audacity and the free computer programs, but I am worried that the computer microphone will not be sensitive enough to detect the sound of the wineglass? Would this be a problem?

Please check the link I posted, michiru: that is exactly what I did!

I used the trick where you wet your finger and rub it around the rim of the glass and held the mic next to it.

russ_watters said:
Please check the link I posted, michiru: that is exactly what I did!

I used the trick where you wet your finger and rub it around the rim of the glass and held the mic next to it.

Hi, I did a test, with audacity and a computer oscilloscope and got some nice waveforms, but I am not sure how to analyze these waveforms to determine what the resonant frequency is? I tapped an empty wineglass with a spoon near the microphone and got these:

Attachments

• audacity.jpg
    audacity.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 751
  • oscilloscope.jpg
    oscilloscope.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 718
The second image looks useless. Either it is saturating (signal is actually too loud) or it is not sampling fast enough or both. The first image looks like it might be good but you need to zoom into a small segment.

You should see a decaying sinusoidal waveform. You should be able to then determine the period of one cycle.

Zoom in, measure the distance between 10 peaks of the waveform and divide by 10 to get an average period. The frequency is then 1 over the period.

Can you post a zoomed in image from the audacity sample?

jambaugh said:
The second image looks useless. Either it is saturating (signal is actually too loud) or it is not sampling fast enough or both. The first image looks like it might be good but you need to zoom into a small segment.

You should see a decaying sinusoidal waveform. You should be able to then determine the period of one cycle.

Zoom in, measure the distance between 10 peaks of the waveform and divide by 10 to get an average period. The frequency is then 1 over the period.

Can you post a zoomed in image from the audacity sample?

I do see part of a sinusoidal waveform. As seen in the last recording in the screenshot.

Don't I need to do a spectral analysis or something?

Attachments

• audacity2.jpg
    audacity2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 654
michiru said:
Hi, I did a test, with audacity and a computer oscilloscope and got some nice waveforms, but I am not sure how to analyze these waveforms to determine what the resonant frequency is?
Analyze -> plot spectrum

russ_watters said:
Analyze -> plot spectrum

Is the value of the first peak the resonant frequency then?

FAQ: Is there a tool to measure resonant frequency?

1. What is resonant frequency?

Resonant frequency is the natural frequency at which an object vibrates. It is determined by the physical characteristics of the object, such as its size, shape, and material.

2. Why is measuring resonant frequency important?

Measuring resonant frequency can provide valuable information about the structural integrity and performance of an object. It can also be used to determine the natural frequency of a system, which is essential in fields like engineering and physics.

3. How is resonant frequency measured?

There are several methods for measuring resonant frequency, including the use of a frequency meter or spectrum analyzer, a mechanical shaker, or modal analysis techniques.

4. Is there a specific tool for measuring resonant frequency?

Yes, there are various tools specifically designed for measuring resonant frequency, such as a vibration meter or an acoustic frequency analyzer. These tools are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.

5. Can resonant frequency be calculated instead of measured?

In some cases, resonant frequency can be calculated using mathematical formulas based on the physical characteristics of the object. However, these calculations may not always be accurate and may require additional measurements to confirm the results.

Back