Is there a way of creating placemarks in Stellarium?

• B
  • Thread starter Beth Doodle
  • Start date
In summary, Stellarium now has a "bookmark" feature that allows you to easily mark and access objects and locations of interest.
Beth Doodle
I've found it very useful to be able to create your own placemarks in Google Earth and Sky. Is there a way to do something similar in Stellarium too?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Beth Doodle said:
I've found it very useful to be able to create your own placemarks in Google Earth and Sky. Is there a way to do something similar in Stellarium too?

you can define your location. if that isn't what you mean?? what do you mean ?Dave

davenn said:
you can define your location. if that isn't what you mean?? what do you mean ?
Dave
I sounds like the OP wanted to bookmark star locations in order to return to them more easily.

Borg said:
I sounds like the OP wanted to bookmark star locations in order to return to them more easily.
I have no idea mate, hence why I asked :smile:
it was very unclear

davenn said:
you can define your location. if that isn't what you mean?? what do you mean ?

Borg said:
Just as Borg says. Like these pins in Google Earth.

colsize.jpg

Attachments

• colsize.jpg
    colsize.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,173
I just found the answer - there is a way.

I was fiddling around in Stellarium and wondered if there might be a keyboard shortcut to doing this so I began trying different various of using the CTRL, SHift, Alt, and the right and left mouse buttons. It turns out that Shift+left click will add a marker where the mouse pointer is.

As Emily Litella would say, "Never mind!" Gilda Radner from Saturday Night Live reference

BTW - FYI for anyone who may stumble across this in the future, I've also found out that there is currently no way to rename these custom markers. Therefore, unless a bunch of markers named Marker 1, Marker 2, Marker 3, etc. would be useful to you, using this not-ready-for-prime-time* feature won't be useful for you until it is fully developed in a future version.

*Yet another Saturday Night Live reference

Beth Doodle said:
BTW - FYI for anyone who may stumble across this in the future, I've also found out that there is currently no way to rename these custom markers. Therefore, unless a bunch of markers named Marker 1, Marker 2, Marker 3, etc. would be useful to you, using this not-ready-for-prime-time* feature won't be useful for you until it is fully developed in a future version.

*Yet another Saturday Night Live reference
This is what you get when people are reluctant to spend 'proper money' on software. When you buy Excel or Photoshop there are very few of these little annoyances but astronomers are so used to free and open source stuff that they seem to put up with all sorts of inadequacies. I guess there just isn't the market for it to be developed.
I have been struggling with Nebulosity and what it actually does is far superior to its interface. Stark Labs are very friendly and give lots of free advice but they couldn't pay themselves enough to give it a Photoshop standard interface.
Strange when you think of the thousands of quids that astrophotographers and even visual astronomers are prepared to pay for their hardware.
I just shelled out for a Photoshop subscription so I have put my money where my mouth is. It really is great to use.

This is admittedly a necropost (sorry), but in case anybody is still interested, here is the answer:

Stellarium now has a "bookmark" feature that allows you to easily mark and access objects and locations of interest.

To enable the bookmark icon on the lower tool strip, go to:
Configuration ==> Extras (tab) ==> Bookmarks (checkbox)

Once the Booksmarks checkbox is checked, a new icon will appear on the bottom (lower) toolstrip. The icon looks like a 5-pointed star on a pennant/banner/flag. Clicking on the icon opens the bookmarks window.

From there you can add a booksmark corresponding to your currently selected object (or delete existing ones). You can Go To a bookmark, essentially selecting it as your new selected tarket. You can also "highlight bookmarks," which gives them the same sort of functionality as the pins in Google Earth, such as the OP was inquiring about.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to rename them or add any descriptive text to bookmarks. But at least they're there.

• Informative
Likes socraticmethead, jim mcnamara and sophiecentaur

Related to Is there a way of creating placemarks in Stellarium?

1. How do I create a placemark in Stellarium?

To create a placemark in Stellarium, you can simply right-click on the desired location on the sky map and select "Add/Remove Marker". This will create a placemark at the selected location.

2. Can I customize the appearance of my placemark in Stellarium?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your placemark by right-clicking on it and selecting "Marker Style". Here, you can change the color, shape, and label of your placemark.

3. Is it possible to add multiple placemarks in Stellarium?

Yes, you can add multiple placemarks in Stellarium by repeating the process of right-clicking on different locations and selecting "Add/Remove Marker". Each placemark will have a different label to help you distinguish between them.

4. Can I save my placemarks in Stellarium?

Yes, you can save your placemarks in Stellarium by clicking on the "Save" button in the bottom right corner of the "Marker Style" menu. This will allow you to access your saved placemarks in future sessions.

5. How do I delete a placemark in Stellarium?

To delete a placemark in Stellarium, simply right-click on it and select "Delete". This will remove the placemark from your sky map. You can also delete all placemarks by going to the "Markers" menu and selecting "Remove all markers".