Is there a way to construct an open set whose boundary is A?

• Thread starter Newtime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary: This set is open, and its boundary is equal to A.In summary, a set in a topological space is closed and nowhere dense if and only if it is the boundary of an open set. This can be proven by showing that the boundary is closed and nowhere dense, and then using the definition of the boundary to construct an open set with A as its boundary.
Newtime

Homework Statement

Prove: a set in a topological space is closed and nowhere dense if and only if it is the boundary of an open set.

Homework Equations

Basic definitions of closed, nowhere dense, open and boundary.

The Attempt at a Solution

One direction is easy. Let [tex] A \subset X [/tex] be a subset in a topological space. Since [tex]\partial A = \bar{A} \cap \overline{X-A} [/tex] and the (finite) interesection of closed sets is closed, the boundary is closed. We also have another interpretation of the boundary. Namely, [tex] \partial A = \bar{A} - \text{int}(A). [/tex] The boundary is nowhere dense since the interior is the largest open set so deleting it means the boundary contains no nonempty open set.

I'm having trouble with the other direction. It seems necessary to do it by construction since there is no general criteria to conclude some random set is a boundary of an open set other than using the definitions, which is how most proofs go in point set topology. However, we know nothing about the set a priori or even about the space, so I'm pretty confused. I think all I need is a (small) nudge in the right direction and any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

I figured it out. For anyone else stuck on this question: if A is a closed nowhere dense set, consider the set X-A.

Related to Is there a way to construct an open set whose boundary is A?

1. What is the definition of a "close, nowhere dense set"?

A close, nowhere dense set is a subset of a metric space that has no interior points and whose closure has empty interior.

2. How is a close, nowhere dense set different from a dense set?

A dense set is a subset of a metric space in which every point in the space is arbitrarily close to at least one point in the subset. In contrast, a close, nowhere dense set has points that are not arbitrarily close to any point in the subset.

3. What are some examples of close, nowhere dense sets?

The set of irrational numbers in the interval [0,1] is a close, nowhere dense set in the real numbers. Another example is the set of integers in the interval [0,1] which has no interior points and has an empty closure.

4. How is the concept of a close, nowhere dense set useful in mathematics?

Close, nowhere dense sets are useful in topology and analysis as they provide a way to classify and distinguish different types of subsets in a metric space. They also play a role in the study of compactness and completeness of metric spaces.

5. Are there any equivalent definitions for close, nowhere dense sets?

Yes, there are equivalent definitions such as a set whose closure has no non-empty open subset, a set whose interior has empty closure, and a set whose complement is dense in its closure.