Is there a way to prove equivalent cardinalites?

• Thread starter Hodgey8806
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to prove the equivalence of cardinalities between the set of real numbers and the interval between 0 and 1. The individual is unsure of how to begin and is seeking tips on how to approach the problem. One potential solution is mentioned involving the tangent function, and the key is to show that it is a bijection between the two sets.
Hodgey8806

Homework Statement

I'm just a bit stupefied at trying to prove a cardinality. I'm not sure I have the skills, but I would like to show that the cardinalities of R (the real numbers) and the interval on (0,1) are equivalent.--to be clear, the interval here is all real numbers between (0,1).

Homework Equations

I suppose I could show some sort of bijection between the two, but I don't know how to begin it. I do realize that I will need a more general definition than an actual formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck here. I don't know how to begin exactly. This is not my homework problem. In fact, my homework is to show that the cardinalities of R and the interval of real numbers (1,infinity) are equivalent.

Any tips would be very appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
one thing that occurs to me is that if you suitably restricted the domain of the tangent function, you'd map an interval symmetric around 0 to all of R.

then it's just a matter of tinkering around with the argument of the tan function to keep it within (0,1).

finally, you want to show that this gives you a bijection of (0,1) with R, which is equivalent to showing the inverse function exists.

Related to Is there a way to prove equivalent cardinalites?

1. What is the concept of equivalent cardinalities?

Equivalent cardinalities refer to two sets having the same number of elements or objects. This means that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets, where each element in one set corresponds to exactly one element in the other set.

2. How can I prove that two sets have equivalent cardinalities?

One way to prove equivalent cardinalities is by using the bijection principle, which states that two sets have equivalent cardinalities if and only if there exists a bijective function between them. This means that there is a one-to-one and onto mapping between the elements of the two sets.

3. Can equivalent cardinalities be proven using mathematical formulas?

Yes, equivalent cardinalities can be proven using mathematical formulas such as the cardinality of a set, which is denoted by |S| and represents the number of elements in a set. If two sets have the same cardinality, then they have equivalent cardinalities.

4. Are there any other methods to prove equivalent cardinalities?

Yes, another method to prove equivalent cardinalities is by using the Cantor-Bernstein-Schröder theorem. This theorem states that if there exist two injective functions between two sets, then their cardinalities are equivalent. An injective function is a one-to-one mapping between two sets.

5. Why is it important to prove equivalent cardinalities?

Proving equivalent cardinalities is important in mathematics and other fields such as computer science and statistics. It helps in understanding the relationship between sets and their elements, and also provides a basis for proving other mathematical concepts and theorems. In addition, it allows for the comparison and classification of different sets based on their cardinalities.