Is There a Way to Solve the Integral Equation for Pi(x) Numerically?

• Thread starter lokofer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining the prime counting function, pi(x), by solving an integral equation derived from Euler's product. The idea is met with skepticism as it involves replacing pi(x) with another function defined in terms of an infinite series and using an integral that can only be evaluated numerically. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using a resolvent kernel approximation to calculate pi(x), but it is pointed out that a good computer could just work out pi(x) directly. The person initiating the conversation is reminded that rearranging symbols does not necessarily make it easier to evaluate and is encouraged to estimate the cost of different methods.
lokofer
Hello..that's my question today..why can't we obtain [tex] \pi(x) [/tex] by solving the integral equation obtained from Euler's product:

[tex] \frac{log \zeta(s)}{s}= \int_{2}^{\infty}dx \frac{ \pi(x)}{x(x^{s}-1)} [/tex] ?

- Of course we can't solve it "Analytically" (or perhaps yes, i will take a look to "Numerical Recipes"... ) but we could solve it Numerically using some quadrature method for the Integral equation..or introducing the term inside the Kernel:

[tex] \pi(s) = \int_{2}^{\infty} \pi(x) \delta (x-s) [/tex] so the integral becomes a "Fredholm Integral Equation of Second Kind"... I know that an algorithm (either numerical or similar) must exist to solve any Integral equation Numerically...why not for the Prime counting function?...

Physics news on Phys.org
Look, Jose, a naive algorithm exists for calculating pi(x), and one exists for evaluating integrals. Now, try to estimate for your self which is more expensive.

In the several years you've been posting here you have never managed to distinguish between a function and an algorithm for evaluating a function at a given point. Numerically you can do anything you want to anything you wish, but it all costs time and 'mathematical money'. So why don't you work out the cost of estimating firstly the functions you wish to use,and thence the integral, and then see if it is better or worse than just working out pi(x) by hand?

Here's a rough heuristic as to why what you've done doesn't seem like a saving:

pi(x) is a perfectly well defined 'analytic' expression. We can work out its values relatively cheaply.

you have replaced pi(x) with another function that is defined in terms of an infinite series, then you've used an integral that can only be done numerically, all of which 'cost money' to approximate, even if there were a way to recover pi(x) from that expression.

Last edited:
You could use the Resolvent Kernel approximation to obtain [\tex] \pi(x) [/tex] :

[tex] \int_{2}^{\infty}ds R(x,s) \frac{log \zeta (s)}{s}= \pi(x) [/tex]

Thta's what i would use..in fact Matt I'm not mathematician, I'm just a physicist suffering unemployment..i don't know much about algorithms :rolleyes: but i think that with a "good" computer today you could calculate the "Resolvent" kernel by iterations or other method.. perhaps in a pair of months you could obtain R(x,s) the rest is easy..

And why can't a good computer just work out pi(x) directly even more quickly?

And you can't pull the 'I'm not a mathematician' line again. You've been given years of advice here, it is not our fault you choose to ignore it. It has been explained to you many many times, that just because you can rearrange some symbols does not make it easier to evaluate. It is up to you to work out the estimates of cost, and as a physicist your are in a far better position to do that than a mathematician (estimates, asmyptotics, numerics etc).

Last edited:

Related to Is There a Way to Solve the Integral Equation for Pi(x) Numerically?

1. What is the definition of "Integral involving Pi(x)"?

The integral involving Pi(x) is a mathematical function that represents the number of prime numbers less than or equal to a given value, x. It is denoted as π(x) and is also known as the Prime Counting Function.

2. How is the integral involving Pi(x) related to the distribution of prime numbers?

The integral involving Pi(x) is closely related to the distribution of prime numbers. As x increases, the value of π(x) also increases, indicating that there are more prime numbers in that range. This function also helps in understanding the gaps between prime numbers and their patterns of occurrence.

3. Can the integral involving Pi(x) be expressed as a simple formula?

There is no simple formula for the integral involving Pi(x). However, mathematicians have developed various approximations and mathematical expressions to calculate this function, such as the Prime Number Theorem and the Riemann Hypothesis.

4. How is the integral involving Pi(x) used in real-world applications?

The integral involving Pi(x) has various applications in number theory, cryptography, and computer science. It is used to analyze the distribution of prime numbers and their properties, which has practical implications in fields like data encryption and security.

5. What is the significance of the Riemann Hypothesis in relation to the integral involving Pi(x)?

The Riemann Hypothesis is a famous unsolved mathematical problem that has a direct relation to the integral involving Pi(x). If the hypothesis is proven true, it would provide a precise formula for calculating the integral involving Pi(x) and would have significant implications in number theory and prime number research.

Back