Is there an alternative method to solve this problem?

• Thread starter asap9993
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the problem involves finding the rate at which the water level is rising in a water bottle with a variable diameter when the diameter is 6.30 cm. By approximating the bottle as a cylinder, we can use the formula V = pi(h)(r^2) to find the rate of change of volume with respect to height (dV/dh). Then, by using the chain rule, we can find the rate of change of height with respect to time (dh/dt) which gives us the final answer of 0.529 cm/s.
asap9993

Homework Statement

Here's the problem:
Water is flowing into a water bottle at a rate of 16.5 cm^3/s. The diameter of the bottle varies with its height. How fast is the water level rising when the diameter is 6.30 cm?

Homework Equations

dV/dt = 16.5

radius = r = 3.15

dh/dt = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it's a related rates problem, but there's no obvious geometric formula to take the derivative of. Or is there? So I pictured a regular Poland Spring water bottle. I noticed that most sections of the bottle come pretty close to a cylinder. So I guessed that I could approximate the rate with that of a cylinder.

V = pi(h)(r^2)

dV/dt = pi(r^2)(dh/dt)

the radius is the constant throughout a cylinder, so r^2 is a constant.

16.5 = pi(3.15^2)(dh/dt)

dh/dt = 0.529 cm/s

This is the correct answer, but is this the correct way to do this problem. I don't like taking risky guesses and approximations. Luckily it worked this time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't care for the V = pi(h)(r^2).
Better to picture an infinitesimally thick layer of water of height dh, which has volume dV = πr²*dh. That gives you an expression for dh/dV that you can put together with the given value for dV/dt to get dh/dt. Same answer.

hi asap9993! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

here's a reasonably systematic way …

the basic formula for volume is V = ∫x=0h A dx (A = area, h = height).

So dV/dh = … ? :smile:

To tiny-tim,

I don't quite understand why we are concentrating on the rate of change of the volume with respect to height instead of time. If you define volume as that integral then,

dV/dh = A = pi(r^2) = pi(3.15^2) = 31.17 cm^2

I guess we could find how the height is changing with respect to time by the chain rule:

dh/dt = (dV/dt)(dh/dV)

dh/dt = (16.5)(1/31.17) = 0.529 cm/s

Is that it?

hi asap9993! :wink:
asap9993 said:
I don't quite understand why we are concentrating on the rate of change of the volume with respect to height instead of time.

I guess we could find how the height is changing with respect to time by the chain rule:

Is that it?

yes, that's right :smile:

do the obvious first (volume vs height), then use the chain rule to adapt it to the question asked :wink:

FAQ: Is there an alternative method to solve this problem?

1. What is the alternative method to solve this problem?

The alternative method to solve a problem is a different approach or strategy that can be used to achieve the same goal or outcome. It may involve using different tools, techniques, or perspectives.

2. Why should I consider using an alternative method?

Using an alternative method can be beneficial because it allows you to think outside the box and potentially come up with a more efficient or innovative solution. It also helps to avoid getting stuck in a rut and encourages creativity.

3. Are there any risks or drawbacks to using an alternative method?

As with any problem-solving approach, there may be risks or potential drawbacks to using an alternative method. It may not be as familiar or well-tested as the traditional method, and there is a possibility that it may not work as well in certain situations.

4. How do I determine if an alternative method is appropriate for my problem?

To determine if an alternative method is appropriate for your problem, you should first thoroughly understand the problem and the traditional method of solving it. Then, consider the potential benefits and drawbacks of using an alternative method. If the benefits outweigh the risks, it may be worth trying out the alternative approach.

5. Is there a specific process for developing an alternative method?

There is no one-size-fits-all process for developing an alternative method, as it will depend on the specific problem and the individual or team working on it. However, some general steps may include brainstorming, researching, and testing different approaches to see which one works best for your problem.