Is There an Equation to Determine Gamma Ray Frequency from Radioactive Decay?

In summary, A reader is new and has a question about the energy or frequency of gamma rays emitted from radioactive decay. Another reader suggests using an equation to determine the energy by subtracting the mass of the daughter particles from the source particle's mass. However, it is also recommended to look up the specific frequencies and energies of gammas in a reliable source.
sdg2010
Readers,

Hi, I'm new here, and have a question that has piqued my interest, and have not found a solution elsewhere.

My question is as such: is there an equation to determine the energy or frequency of the gamma ray emitted as a byproduct of radioactive decay for a given isotope?

Thanks,

sdg2010

Physics news on Phys.org
Add up the masses of the daughter particles and subtract from source particle mass. The difference will be the mass converted to energy.

Thanks mathman. That seems to be the logical answer (which I missed).

I think to know the frequencies and energies of the specific gammas, though, the best way is to look it up. There may be a few models to help predict, but I'm not aware of those. I've found this to be a good source of radionuclide info.

http://ie.lbl.gov/toi/nucSearch.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is There an Equation to Determine Gamma Ray Frequency from Radioactive Decay?

1. What is gamma emission?

Gamma emission is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is highly energetic and has a shorter wavelength than visible light. It is emitted by radioactive materials or during nuclear reactions.

2. How is the frequency of gamma emission measured?

The frequency of gamma emission is measured in hertz (Hz), which is the number of cycles per second. This can be determined using a device called a spectrometer, which can detect and measure the energy levels of gamma rays.

3. What factors affect the frequency of gamma emission?

The frequency of gamma emission is affected by the energy level of the radioactive material, the type of nuclear reaction, and the distance between the source and the detector. It is also influenced by factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. What are some common uses of gamma emission?

Gamma emission is used in various fields such as medicine, industry, and research. In medicine, it is used for cancer treatment and medical imaging. In industry, it is used for sterilization and quality control. In research, it is used to study the properties of matter and to detect the presence of radioactive materials.

5. What are the potential health risks associated with gamma emission?

Exposure to high levels of gamma emission can be harmful to living organisms, as it can damage cells and DNA. This can lead to various health effects, such as radiation sickness and an increased risk of developing cancer. However, the risks are typically low for those who are not directly exposed to high levels of gamma emission.