Is there an equivalent command to \cancel{} that I can use here?

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a $\LaTeX$ command to cancel factors in rational expressions for clarity, and how this command is not supported on certain forums. The user has discovered an alternative command and marks the issue as solved.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
At MMF, I have used a $\LaTeX$ command (\cancel{put factor here}) to denote the "canceling" of factors in the numerator and denominator of a rational expression for further clarity when simplifying, and I have noticed this command is not supported here.

In fact, of the 4 forums on which I participate, I have discovered that MMF is the only one that does support this command, so I am assuming it is a non-standard command and that there might be a synonymous command of which I am unaware.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Mark.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
\rlap{/}x seems to work for stuff like $\displaystyle \frac{\rlap{/}x}{x\cdot \rlap{/}x} = \frac{1}{x}. $ Not sure about crossing out big stuff.

in MMF I use \not {to be factored} which misses up here .

Jameson has fixed the problem:

$\displaystyle \frac{\cancel{x}y}{\cancel{x}}=y$ where $\displaystyle x\ne0$

So, I will mark this issue solved. (Yes)

$\displaystyle \frac{\cancel{\prod a_{k}}y}{\cancel{\prod a_{k}}}=y$ where $\displaystyle \prod a_{k}\ne0.$ Works beautifully for the big stuff now indeed. Good job Jameson as always. (Rock)

FAQ: Is there an equivalent command to \cancel{} that I can use here?

1. What is the purpose of the \cancel{} command?

The \cancel{} command is used in LaTeX to strike through text, typically to indicate that it has been cancelled or is no longer valid. It is commonly used in mathematical equations and expressions.

2. Is there an alternative to the \cancel{} command?

Yes, there is an equivalent command called \sout{} that can be used in place of \cancel{}. Both commands have the same function of striking through text.

3. How do I use the \sout{} command?

To use the \sout{} command, simply enclose the text you want to strike through within the curly braces after the command. For example, \sout{this text will be struck through}.

4. Can I customize the appearance of the strikethrough with \sout{}?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the strikethrough by adding optional parameters after the command. For example, \sout[]{text} will change the color of the strikethrough. You can also adjust the line thickness and style by adding additional parameters.

5. Are there any other commands that have a similar function to \cancel{} and \sout{}?

Yes, there is also the \xcancel{} command, which is used to strike through text with a diagonal line instead of a straight line. Additionally, the \st{} command can be used to strike through text without any customization options.

Back