Is there an opposite to omnipotence?

• Thread starter PIT2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the existence of the opposite of omnipotence. While some suggest the term impotence, others argue that it depends on one's definition. The conversation also touches on the physical existence of this opposite trait and brings up the concept of "esclaves" as an example. Overall, there is a disagreement on the exact term for the opposite of omnipotence, but it is agreed that it is something with no power whatsoever.
PIT2
Does the opposite of omnipotence exist?

(i don't know the right word for it, is it impotence/nihipotence/nonpotence/something else?)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are asking about fisical existence, then no: it is impossible to exist without occupying space (but again, it also depends on your definition fo the opposite of omnipotent. For me, it is that something is nowhere).

Impotence certainly exists; many men suffer from it.

arildno said:
Impotence certainly exists; many men suffer from it.

haha, good one. but he doesn't mean it that way...

<<<GUILLE>>> said:
If you are asking about fisical existence, then no: it is impossible to exist without occupying space (but again, it also depends on your definition fo the opposite of omnipotent. For me, it is that something is nowhere).

I found this definition of omnipotence on wikipedia:

Omnipotence (literally, "all power") is power with no limits or inexhaustible, in other words, unlimited power. This trait is usually attributed only to God.

So i think the opposite of omnipotence would be "something with no power whatsoever".

PIT2 said:
I found this definition of omnipotence on wikipedia:

So i think the opposite of omnipotence would be "something with no power whatsoever".

thansk for that, this changes my position.

Yes, impotnece exists: esclaves. (there are still many)

What are esclaves?

FAQ: Is there an opposite to omnipotence?

1. What is the opposite of omnipotence?

The opposite of omnipotence is impotence or powerlessness. It refers to the lack of ability or strength to accomplish or control something.

2. Can anything truly be considered opposite to omnipotence?

Some argue that the concept of omnipotence by definition means having unlimited power, so it would be impossible for something to be truly opposite to it. However, others believe that the idea of impotence or powerlessness can be seen as the opposite of omnipotence.

3. Are there any limitations to omnipotence?

This is a highly debated topic. Some argue that if something is truly omnipotent, it would have no limitations. However, others believe that even an omnipotent being may choose to limit itself in certain situations.

4. Can humans ever attain omnipotence?

It is not possible for humans to attain omnipotence as it is considered to be an attribute of a divine being. However, some people may possess great power or influence, but it would not be considered omnipotence.

5. Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of omnipotence?

No, omnipotence is a concept that exists within philosophical, religious, and theological discussions. It is not a scientifically measurable phenomenon, so there is no scientific evidence to support its existence.