Is there any shortcut for this lengthy problem?

• Thread starter Benjamin_harsh
  • Start date
In summary: The centroid of each shape is on the same line, but not necessarily at the same x coordinate. The centroid of the I shape is in the same x position as the intersection of the 2 rectangles, but the centroid of each rectangle is further left or right.On the same x value, i.e. a vertical line through the 3 shapes would cross the same x coordinate. The centroid of each shape is on the same line, but not necessarily at the same x coordinate. The centroid of the I shape is in the same x position as the intersection of the 2 rectangles, but the centroid of each rectangle is further left or right.##In summary, the
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
Find the moment of Inertia of the cross-sectional area of an I section about its centroidal axis.
Relevant Equations
##I_{XX1} = I_{.G1.X} + A_{1}.Y^2##
Find the moment of Inertia of the cross-sectional area of an I section about its centroidal axis:

Sol: Here A1, A2 and A3 are the areas:

Centriod ; ##X_{C} = \large \frac {A_{1}X_{1} + A_{2}X_{2}+A_{3}X_{3}}{A_{1} + A{2}+ A_{3}}## ##= 15 cm##
Centriod ; ##Y_{C} = \large \frac {A_{1}Y_{1} + A_{2}Y_{2}+A_{3}Y_{3}}{A_{1} + A{2}+ A_{3}}## ##= 10.96 cm##

Moment of Inertia w.r.t Centroid X-X:
##I_{XX} = I_{XX1} + I_{XX2} + I_{XX3}##

##I_{XX1} = I_{G1.X} + A_{1}Y^{2}##

##= I_{G1.X} + A_{1}.(Y_{1} - \overline {Y})^{2}##

##= \large \frac {30*5}{12}## ##+ 150(25 - 10.96^{2})## (Here ##I_{G1.X} = \large \frac {b.d^3}{12})##

##= 11048.24 cm^{4}##

##I_{XX2} = I_{G2.X} + A_{2}Y^{2}##

##= I_{G1.X} + A_{2}.(Y_{2} - \overline {Y})^{2}##

##= \large \frac {5*15}{12}## ## + 75(12.5 - 10.96^{2})##

##=1584.12 cm^{4}##

##I_{XX3} = I_{G3.X} + A_{3}.Y^{2}##

##= I_{G3.X} + A_{3}.(Y_{3} - \overline {Y})^{2}##

##=\large \frac {20*5}{12}## ## + 100(22.5 - 10.96^{2})##

##= 13525.25 cm^{4}##

##I_{xx} = 11048.28 + 1584.12 + 13525.5 = 26137.86 cm^{4}##

Moment of Inertia w.r.t Centroid Y-Y:

##I_{YY} = I_{YY1} + I_{YY2} + I_{YY3}##

##I_{YY1} = I_{G1 }+ A_{1}.X^{2}##

= ##I_{G1.Y} + A_{1}. (X_{1} - \overline X)^{2}## (Here ##I_{G1.X} = \large \frac{d.b^{3}}{12}##)

##= \large \frac {5*30^{3}}{12}## + ##(150)(15 - 15)^{2}##

## = 11250 cm^{4}##

##I_{YY2} = I_{G2} + A_{2}.X^{2}##

= ##I_{G2.Y} + A_{2}. (x^{2} - \overline X)^{2}##

= ##\large \frac {15*5^{3}}{12}## + ##(75)(15-15)^{2}##

= ##156.25 cm^{4}##

##I_{YY3} = I_{G3} + A_{3}.X^{2}##

= ##I_{G3.Y} + A_{3}. (x^{2} - \overline X)^{2}##

= ##\large \frac {5*20^{3}}{12}## + ##(100)(15-15)^{2}##

= ##3333.33 cm^{4}##

##I_{yy} = 11250 + 156.25 + 3333.33 = 14739.58 cm^{4}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the axis of rotation ? Where is the centroidal axis located in the drawing ?

How come the moment of inertia has dimension length4 ?

BvU said:
Where is the centroidal axis located in the drawing ?
X, Y = 15, 10.96

OK.
I was distracted by the dimension, but I suppose mass moment of inertia and area moment can be linked through a density.

So you added a bunch of contributions, making good use of the parallel axis theorem.

Is there a question? Or do you want to hire PF to check your math ? :wink:

Magnitude seems a bit low to me: upper rect 100 cm2 at 12 cm alone is 15000 cm4 already. Or is it me now making a counting error ?

Number of digits is definitely too many: you have 1 and 2 digits dimensions, so you can never get 7 digits accuracy in ##I##

For clarity you might explain what Xi,Yi and Ai stand for...

It looks as if they have a different meaning in you relevant equation.

Your relevant equation itself is also incomplete: it does not show what the definition of ##I## is, but just renders the parrallel axis theorem in an unknown notation.

##\ ##

Can I calculate same question with integration method? If so, how?

Benjamin_harsh said:
##= I_{G1.X} + A_{1}.(Y_{1} - \overline {Y})^{2}##
##= \large \frac {30*5}{12}## ##+ 150(25 - 10.96^{2})## (Here ##I_{G1.X} = \large \frac {b.d^3}{12})##
Seem to be a few problems there.
You correctly refer to ##\frac {b.d^3}{12}##, but I don't see anything cubed on the left.
Shouldn’t ##(25 - 10.96^{2})## be ##(2.5 - 10.96)^{2}##?

haruspex said:
Seem to be a few problems there.
You correctly refer to ##\frac {b.d^3}{12}##, but I don't see anything cubed on the left.
Shouldn’t ##(25 - 10.96^{2})## be ##(2.5 - 10.96)^{2}##?
Now I can't edit my post. Please tell me is it possible to solve this problem through integration method or not?

Benjamin_harsh said:
Now I can't edit my post. Please tell me is it possible to solve this problem through integration method or not?
Of course it can be solved by integration, but that is not going to make it any easier.

haruspex said:
it can be solved by integration, but that is not going to make it any easier.
I googled and but none helped me. Please will you solution using integration.

Benjamin_harsh said:
I googled and but none helped me. Please will you solution using integration.
In post #1 you wrote you were looking for a simpler solution. All that integration will do is be a longer route to the formulas you were using in the first place.
If you have changed your purpose and now just wish to understand how to derive those formulas by integration I will help you, but if you are hoping it will provide an easier solution to the given problem you are wasting your time - and mine.

haruspex said:
In post #1 you ...mine.

Are you simply telling my solution is easiest way ?

Benjamin_harsh said:
Are you simply telling my solution is easiest way ?
I am telling you that using integration isn't going to make it easier.
But maybe there is an easier way than post #1.

First, you need to clarify the question. As I remarked on another thread, "centroidal axis" means any axis through the centroid. If you mean the polar axis, i.e. the centroidal axis normal to the plane, then why not start with the moments about the polar axes of the individual rectangles instead of dealing with XX and YY separately?

Using the parallel axis theorem will make this easier?

Benjamin_harsh said:
Using the parallel axis theorem will make this easier?
You used that in your post #1. You can also use it with the moment about the polar axis.

haruspex said:
You can also use it with the moment about the polar axis.
Will I get same answer as post #1?

Benjamin_harsh said:
Will I get same answer as post #1?
In principle you should, but in post #6 I pointed out what appear to be errors in your working in post #1, so probably not.

Can you tell how ##X_{2}## and ##X_{3}## is ##15##?

Benjamin_harsh said:
Can you tell how ##X_{2}## and ##X_{3}## is ##15##?
As in the diagram of the other question, horizontal displacements are not shown, so you need to assume all three shapes are centred on the same x coordinate. If the origin is the lower left corner of the bottom rectangle then that coordinate is 15cm.

haruspex said:
so you need to assume all three shapes are centred on the same x coordinate. If the origin is the lower left corner of the bottom rectangle then that coordinate is 15cm.

What does centred mean? centroid of 3 shapes lie in same point?

On the same x value, i.e. a vertical line

Related to Is there any shortcut for this lengthy problem?

1. What is a shortcut?

A shortcut is a quicker or easier way to accomplish a task or solve a problem.

2. Are shortcuts always reliable?

No, shortcuts may not always be reliable as they may not take into account all factors or may skip important steps.

3. Can shortcuts be used in scientific research?

Yes, shortcuts can be used in scientific research, but they should be carefully evaluated and tested to ensure accuracy and validity of results.

4. When should shortcuts be used?

Shortcuts can be used when time is limited or when a simpler solution is available, but they should not be used in place of thorough and rigorous scientific methods.

5. How can I determine if a shortcut is appropriate for a problem?

To determine if a shortcut is appropriate for a problem, you should consider the complexity of the problem, the level of accuracy needed, and the potential consequences of using a shortcut. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts or conduct further research before deciding to use a shortcut.