Is there any way of finding force on gears through torque?

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps needed to calculate the minimum diameter of a shaft for a given assignment. The specific scenario involves a shaft with two bearings, a spur gear, and a keyway. The conversation touches on using torque to calculate force, the role of the pressure angle in splitting forces into z and y components, and the importance of considering the stress created by the keyway in the design of the shaft.
knight92

Homework Statement

I have an assignment which is asking me to calculate the minimum diameter of a shaft. Shaft length is 300 mm.
The shaft is held between two bearings with one on the left hand side and one on the right 220 mm away. At 143 mm there is a spur gear and at 300 mm(at the end) is a keyway. I know how to find the minimum diameter using DET or MSST but the problem I am facing is I need to find the reactions on the bearings first and there are no forces given at all. All I know is that 40 kW of power is transmitted at 7000 RPM which gives a torque of 55 Nm. I have posted an example (Fig.1) my lecturer has given me but the forces at the gear(G) and pulley(P) in z and y direction are already given in the example. A and B are bearings.

Homework Equations

See Fig.1

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is to first find out what the forces on the spur gear are in the z and y direction. Can I use the torque transmitted by the shaft to calculate these forces assuming the shaft is driven by the gear?

Thanks for the help!

I have attached the generic data I have been given for the shaft in my assignment as Fig2.

Attachments

• Fig.1.jpg
    Fig.1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,121
  • Fig2.jpg
    Fig2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
knight92 said:

Homework Statement

I have an assignment which is asking me to calculate the minimum diameter of a shaft. Shaft length is 300 mm.
The shaft is held between two bearings with one on the left hand side and one on the right 220 mm away. At 143 mm there is a spur gear and at 300 mm(at the end) is a keyway. I know how to find the minimum diameter using DET or MSST but the problem I am facing is I need to find the reactions on the bearings first and there are no forces given at all. All I know is that 40 kW of power is transmitted at 7000 RPM which gives a torque of 55 Nm. I have posted an example (Fig.1) my lecturer has given me but the forces at the gear(G) and pulley(P) in z and y direction are already given in the example. A and B are bearings.

Homework Equations

See Fig.1

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is to first find out what the forces on the spur gear are in the z and y direction. Can I use the torque transmitted by the shaft to calculate these forces assuming the shaft is driven by the gear?

Thanks for the help!

I have attached the generic data I have been given for the shaft in my assignment as Fig2.
What's the definition of torque? How would you use this definition to calculate the force acting on a gear, for example?

SteamKing said:
What's the definition of torque? How would you use this definition to calculate the force acting on a gear, for example?

Torque = Force * Radius. I have the Pitch circle diameter(d) of the gear.
Radius = d/2

so Force = Torque/Radius ??

I have tried this before but how do I split the force into z and y direction?

knight92 said:
Torque = Force * Radius. I have the Pitch circle diameter(d) of the gear.
Radius = d/2

so Force = Torque/Radius ??

I have tried this before but how do I split the force into z and y direction?

Isn't this why you are given the pressure angle of the gear teeth?

SteamKing said:
Isn't this why you are given the pressure angle of the gear teeth?

so basically am I right in thinking the two components are:

Force*cos(Pressure Angle)
Force*Sin(Pressure Angle) ?

It's a start.

SteamKing said:
It's a start.

I can draw the SFD and BMD from those figures. As the keyway is part of the shaft which is not connected to anything (question doesn't say) can I ignore it? I don't really see how else the keyway would affect the forces on the shaft

knight92 said:
I can draw the SFD and BMD from those figures. As the keyway is part of the shaft which is not connected to anything (question doesn't say) can I ignore it? I don't really see how else the keyway would affect the forces on the shaft
The key is used to keep the gear (or whatever is keyed) from slipping around the shaft under the application of the torque being transmitted. Due to the need to machine a keyway (essentially a notch) into the shaft to fit the key, a stress concentration is created there.

Since the point of this problem is to design the shaft to minimum diameter given the stress constraints on the material, the stresses created by the presence of the keyway should be considered, in addition to the other stresses creating in bending or shear from the gears or the bearings, for example.

Likes knight92

Related to Is there any way of finding force on gears through torque?

1. What is torque and how is it related to force on gears?

Torque is a measure of rotational force. It is related to the force on gears through the equation T = rF, where T is torque, r is the radius of the gear, and F is the force applied to the gear. This means that as the torque increases, so does the force on the gear.

2. Can the force on gears be calculated using torque?

Yes, the force on gears can be calculated using torque. This can be done by rearranging the equation T = rF to solve for F. However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes that the gear is in a state of equilibrium and does not take into account other factors such as friction.

3. Are there any other factors that affect the force on gears?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the force on gears. These include the gear's material, the number of teeth, the speed of rotation, and any external forces or loads applied to the gear.

4. How does the gear ratio affect the force on gears?

The gear ratio is the ratio of the number of teeth on the driven gear to the number of teeth on the driving gear. It affects the force on gears by amplifying or reducing the torque and force applied to the gears. A higher gear ratio will result in a lower force on the gears, while a lower gear ratio will result in a higher force on the gears.

5. Is there a limit to the force that can be applied to gears through torque?

Yes, there is a limit to the force that can be applied to gears through torque. This limit is determined by the gear's material and design, and exceeding it can lead to gear failure or damage. It is important to carefully consider the torque and force requirements when designing and using gears to ensure they are within the safe operating limits.