Is there even a scientific reason for this

In summary, the person is explaining how they found a resonance frequency in their bathroom that made their humming sound echo enormously. They suggest that it may be due to resonance and recommend reading about room modes. They also mention using acoustic treatments to improve sound quality in a room.
kay
So this is what happened. the thing is that wherever i go i hum. So i was in the bathroom that day and it was as usual tiled everywhere. So when I started to hum, it echoed. Nothing special about it. But as i raised my pitch, there was a pitch at which my humming sound echoed ENORMOUSLY. And there was no other pitch at which it echoed SO MUCH. Is there any scientific reason for this?
( I don't know which subject this question pertained to. So I just chose classical physics. Sorry about that. )

Physics news on Phys.org
Borg said:
Resonance perhaps?
Dude I have no idea what it is.. Please be a bit more explicit?

kay said:
Dude I have no idea what it is.. Please be a bit more explicit?
Try clicking the link to the Wikipedia article.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
jh0 said:
Yes, it seems you have found one of the resonance frequencies of the room!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_modes

We used to do this in our dorm room with my roommate's stereo. It had some kind of fixed-frequency output from the stereo amplifier (speaker check?) that we would turn on. The neat thing was that it produced standing waves in the room. You could walk around the room, and find nodes and antinodes. The OP might try having a friend (it must be a good, nerdy, non-judgemental friend, one who will not think the request to be strange... :) ) walk around the room to see if there is this kind of structure. I remember that the difference between loud and soft was very dramatic.

Benade's book: "Fundamentals of Musical Acoustics" talks some about these kinds of effect. [It is an inexpensive Dover paperback] Arthur Benade was a nuclear physicist at Case Western who switched his research area to musical acoustics.

Likes kay
jh0 said:
Yes, it seems you have found one of the resonance frequencies of the room!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_modes
After reading your reply to my question,
Man. I suddenly feel so special. Thanks a lot. :D

kay said:
After reading your reply to my question,
Man. I suddenly feel so special. Thanks a lot. :D

Your rooms response is something people who like good music reproduction spend a lot of time and money on things like acoustic treatments not to have. :D
You can use electronic EQ (effective for reducing peaks but not other room mode effects) but designing and/or adding passive treatments to a room with the correct physical properties improves sound at all locations not just a narrow location near the measurement device.

Likes kay
nsaspook said:
Your rooms response is something people who like good music reproduction spend a lot of time and money on things like acoustic treatments not to have. :D
You can use electronic EQ (effective for reducing peaks but not other room mode effects) but designing and/or adding passive treatments to a room with the correct physical properties improves sound at all locations not just a narrow location near the measurement device.
No problems. :3
I have other rooms to make music in. xD

Related to Is there even a scientific reason for this

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to solving problems and answering questions about the natural world. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

How is science different from other ways of knowing?

Science relies on evidence and empirical data to support claims and theories, while other ways of knowing may rely on personal beliefs or intuition. Science also involves testing and retesting ideas, while other ways of knowing may accept ideas without questioning them.

What is the role of peer review in science?

Peer review is a process where scientific research is evaluated by a group of experts in the same field before it is published. This helps to ensure the quality and validity of the research and allows for any potential biases or errors to be identified and addressed.

Can science explain everything?

Science is constantly evolving and expanding, but it does have limitations. Some phenomena, such as emotions and consciousness, may be difficult to study and explain through the scientific method alone. However, science has provided us with a deeper understanding of the world around us and has greatly advanced our knowledge and technology.

How do scientists ensure the accuracy and reliability of their findings?

Scientists follow strict research protocols and use statistical analysis to minimize bias and error in their findings. They also conduct experiments multiple times and replicate results to ensure their findings are consistent and reliable.

Back