Is there much difference between these 2 books by F.Reif?

In summary, the conversation is about comparing two books on statistical mechanics and physics, "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by F.Reif and "Statistical Physics: Berkeley Physics Course in SI Units (Volume - 5)" by F.Reif. The person is wondering if there is a significant difference in coverage and level between the two books and if they should consider purchasing the former. There is also a brief mention of the writing style and quality of problems in "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics". One person mentions that the latter book seems more advanced and the former is an introductory text.
Phy_Reason
Hey all!
I was hoping if you could make some suggestions regarding the following:

I am thinking of buying "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by F.Reif, as it is the recommended book for Statistical Mechanics in my department, where I am doing M.Sc in Physics.
But I already have "Statistical Physics: Berkeley Physics Course in SI Units (Volume - 5)" by F.Reif.
So, my question is there: Is there a substantial difference between the coverage/level-of-coverage between these two books; or are they more less the same? Should I consider buying "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by F.Reif?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, he usually has more to say than you want to listen to; crucial points are often obscured by protracted discussion and excessive mathematical manipulation. You sort of need to read between the lines to extract the important stuff, but that shouldn't be a problem if you have a good prof. And to Reif's credit, it has a lot of neat problems.
here is something written about the "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics".

As I only used the Berkeley Physics Course Text and read "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" only once in library, it seems more advanced.Also Berkeley Physics Course is an Introductory Text.

FAQ: Is there much difference between these 2 books by F.Reif?

1. What is the main difference between the two books by F.Reif?

The main difference between the two books by F.Reif is their subject matter. One book may focus on a specific topic or concept, while the other may cover a broader range of topics.

2. Are the two books by F.Reif written for the same audience?

It is possible that the two books by F.Reif are written for the same audience, but it ultimately depends on the content and level of complexity in each book. One book may be more suitable for beginners, while the other may be geared towards more advanced readers.

3. Do the two books by F.Reif cover the same material?

The two books by F.Reif may cover some of the same material, but there may also be variations in the depth and approach to the topics. It is best to consult the table of contents or a summary of each book to determine the similarities and differences in content.

4. Are the two books by F.Reif written in a similar style?

The writing style of the two books by F.Reif may vary, as one book may be more technical and academic, while the other may have a more casual and accessible tone. Again, it is important to research the style and tone of each book to determine if they are similar or different.

5. Can I read one book instead of the other, or do I need to read both?

It depends on your purpose for reading the books. If you are interested in a specific topic or concept, you may only need to read one book. However, if you want a comprehensive understanding of F.Reif's work, it may be beneficial to read both books.