Is this a correct application of the reduction method?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
In summary, the reduction method is often used to prove the undecidability of a (positive) existential theory $T$ by interpreting another (positive) existential theory $T'$, known to be undecidable, in $T$. This involves translating each formula $\phi'$ in the language of $T'$ into a formula $\phi$ in the language of $T$, reducing $T'$ to $T$. If $T'$ is undecidable, then $T$ is also undecidable. The mapping $\phi'\mapsto\phi$ must be computable and the terms "positive" and "existential" are not crucial.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Is the following formulation of the reduction correct? Undecidability of an (positive) existential theory $T$ is proved often by reduction, i.e., by interpreting another (positive) existential theory $T'$, known to be undecidable, in $T$.

Each formula $\phi'$ of the language of $T'$ is translated into a formula $\phi$ of the language of $T$.

So, the (positive) existential theory $T'$ is reduced to the (positive) existential theory $T$.

Since $T'$ is undecidable, $T$ is also undecidable.
An other way to apply the reduction is the following: We suppose that the (positive) existential theory $T$ is decidable. We want to interpret $T$ in another (positive) existential theory $T'$, known to be undecidable.

Each formula $\phi$ of the language of $T$ is translated into a formula $\phi'$ of the language of $T'$.

So, the (positive) existential theory $T$ is reduced to the (positive) existential theory $T'$.

Since $T'$ is undecidable and we have supposed that $T$ is decidable, we aget a contradiction.

So, $T$ is also undecidable.

Is everything correct? Could I improve something at the formulation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I changed the formulation...

Undecidability of an (positive) existential theory $T$ is proved often by reducing an other (positive) existential theory $T'$, which is known to be undecidable,to $T$, i.e., by a mapping from the (positive) existential sentences in the language of $T'$ to the (positive) existential sentences in the language of $T$, $$\phi' \mapsto \phi$$ such that $T'$ proves $\phi'$ iff $T$ proves $\phi$.
Is the formulation now correct? Could I improve something?

I agree. Of course, the mapping $\phi'\mapsto\phi$ has to be computable. I also don't think that "positive" and "existential" are important here; this construction works for any fragment of $T'$ and $T$.

Ok... Thanks a lot! (Smile)

Related to Is this a correct application of the reduction method?

1. What is reduction in scientific terms?

Reduction is a process in science where complex systems or phenomena are simplified into smaller, more manageable parts in order to better understand them.

2. How is reduction used in scientific research?

Reduction is used in scientific research to break down complex systems or phenomena into smaller, more easily studied components. This allows scientists to isolate and analyze specific factors and variables, leading to a deeper understanding of the larger system.

3. What are the benefits of reduction in scientific study?

The benefits of reduction in scientific study include a clearer understanding of complex systems, the ability to make predictions and hypotheses based on the isolated variables, and the potential for practical applications and solutions to real-world problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using reduction in scientific research?

Yes, there are limitations to using reduction in scientific research. It can oversimplify complex systems, leading to inaccurate conclusions. It also may not take into account the interactions and interdependencies between different components of a system.

5. How can we ensure that the reduction used in scientific research is accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of reduction in scientific research, scientists must carefully choose which factors to isolate and study, accurately measure and control the variables, and consider the potential interactions and limitations of the reduced system. Additionally, peer review and replication of experiments can help validate the accuracy of the reduction.