Is This a Long or Short Rossby Wave at 35o N?

In summary, we are considering a Rossby wave with a wavelength of 500km propagating in a homogeneous ocean with a water depth of 4,000m at 35o N latitude. To determine if this is a long or short Rossby wave, we need to compare |kx-1| to the Rossby Radius of Deformation (RD). Since kx is in units of rad*m-1 and RD is in units of meters, we need to convert kx to a distance unit. This can be done by using the Earth's radius (6,371 km) and taking into account the latitude of 35o N. This will allow us to determine if |kx-1| is significantly smaller or
geojon

Homework Statement

Consider a Rossby wave propagating in a homogeneous ocean with a water depth of 4,000m at 35o N latitude. If the wave length of this wave is 500km, is this a long or short Rossby wave?

Homework Equations

shortwaves: |kx-1| <<RD
longwaves: |kx-1| >> RD

kx is the x-component of the wave number, k. wavenumber = 2pie/λ
-kx = k

RD = Rossby Radius of Deformation = (gh)1/2 / ƒ
where ƒ is the Coriolis parameter.

The Attempt at a Solution

RD = Rossby Radius of Deformation = (gh)1/2 / ƒ = 2.38 x 106m. ƒ is in seconds-1, RD is in meters.

-kx = k = 2Pie / λ. = 1.26 x 10-5 rad m-1.

I want to compare |kx-1| to RD. How do I change my units for kx?? Because I cannot compare something in rad*m-1 to meters.

I think that I have to change the radians to a distance, using the Earth's radius (6,371 km), at a latitude of 35o North. This is where I am stumped??

Physics news on Phys.org
One radian on the Earth = 1 Earth radius in length right?

FAQ: Is This a Long or Short Rossby Wave at 35o N?

1. What is a Rossby Wave?

A Rossby Wave is a large-scale atmospheric wave that forms in the mid-latitude regions of Earth's atmosphere. It is caused by the rotation of the Earth and the temperature differences between the equator and poles.

2. How is the type of Rossby Wave determined?

The type of Rossby Wave is determined by its wavelength and the latitude at which it is observed. Long Rossby Waves have wavelengths that extend across the entire hemisphere and are typically found in the higher latitudes, while short Rossby Waves have shorter wavelengths and are typically found in the lower latitudes.

3. What is the significance of 35o N in determining the type of Rossby Wave?

35o N is the latitude line at which the Coriolis force, caused by Earth's rotation, is equal to the average wind speed. This is the point at which the Rossby Waves begin to form and can help determine whether the wave is long or short.

4. How do long and short Rossby Waves affect weather patterns?

Long Rossby Waves can have a significant impact on weather patterns, as they can cause prolonged periods of high or low pressure systems, leading to extreme weather events. Short Rossby Waves, on the other hand, tend to have less of an impact on weather patterns and are more likely to dissipate quickly.

5. Can Rossby Waves be predicted?

Yes, Rossby Waves can be predicted using mathematical models and atmospheric data. However, due to the complex nature of atmospheric systems, the accuracy of these predictions can vary. Ongoing research and advancements in technology are helping to improve the accuracy of Rossby Wave predictions.