Is this an inner product on R3?

• Thread starter jacko_20
  • Start date
In summary, the given formula <u,v>=u2v2+u3v3 for vectors u=(u1,u2,u3) and v=(v1,v2,v3) in R3 does not define an inner product because it does not include u1 and v1 in the inner product. This violates axiom 4 b) and makes the vector u = (u1, 0, 0) non-zero, which contradicts axiom 4 b). Therefore, this is not an inner product on R3.
jacko_20
We define: <u,v>=u2v2+u3v3

For vectors u=(u1,u2,u3) and v=(v1,v2,v3) in R3.

Explain the reasons why this is not an inner product on R3.

I have completed the 4 axioms as below:

1. <u,v>= u2v3 + u3v3

=v2u2 + v3u3

=<v,u>

2.<cu,v> = cu1v2+cu2v2

= c(u2v2+u3v3)

= c<u,v>

3.<u,v+w>=u2(v2+w2)+u3(v3,w3)

= u2v2+u2w2+u3v3+u3w3

= <u,v>+<u,w>

4.a) <u,u>=u22 + u32

greater than or equal to zero as u2^2 greater than or equal to zero and u3^2 is greater than or equal to zero

b) <u,u>=0 then u2=0 and u3=0.

Somehow I've wrongly proved all the axioms :S I am assuming this does not define an inner product as it does not include u1 and v1 in the inner product, therefore cannot be an inner product in R^3. I would greatly appreciate anyone looking over my work to help me! Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
your last step is wrong

proving u2 = u3=0 leaves u1 arbitrary and so the vector u = (u1, 0, 0) which is non-zero violates axiom 4 b).

Thanks mjsd! So it is correct that none of the other axioms apart from 4.b) depend on u1 or v1?

FAQ: Is this an inner product on R3?

1. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is also referred to as a dot product or scalar product.

2. How is an inner product calculated?

To calculate an inner product, you multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors and then add up the results. For example, if you have two vectors a = [a1, a2, a3] and b = [b1, b2, b3], the inner product would be calculated as a1*b1 + a2*b2 + a3*b3.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of an inner product?

The geometric interpretation of an inner product is that it measures the projection of one vector onto another. This can be visualized as the length of the shadow cast by one vector onto the other.

4. What are some properties of inner products?

Some properties of inner products include symmetry (the inner product of two vectors is the same regardless of the order in which they are multiplied), linearity (the inner product of a vector with a linear combination of other vectors is equal to the sum of the inner products of the original vector with each individual vector), and positive definiteness (the inner product of a vector with itself is always positive or zero).

5. What are some applications of inner products?

Inner products have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in vector calculus, linear algebra, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They can also be used to measure the similarity between two vectors, which is useful in machine learning and data analysis.

Back