Is this approach to evaluating a complex integral valid?

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of treating $i$ as a constant when integrating with respect to a real variable. The approach taken is to substitute a different variable, which is allowed as long as the limits of integration remain the same. The justification for this substitution is that the path of integration does not matter since the exponential function is analytic. Ultimately, it is concluded that the substitution is valid and yields the same result as other approaches.
polygamma
$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-ix^{2}} \ dx = \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{0}^{R} e^{-ix^{2}} \ dx $

I think I'm perfectly justified in treating $i$ like a constant since we're integrating with respect to a real variable.$ \displaystyle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{i}} \ \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{0}^{i\sqrt{R}} e^{-u^{2}} \ du $ EDIT: Initially we were integrating along the positive real axis. By making that substitution, we are now integrating along the line in the complex plane that begins at the origin and makes a 45 degree angle with the positive real axis. But since the exponential function is analytic, the path itself doesn't matter. All that matters is the starting point and the ending point.$= \displaystyle \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{0}^{i\sqrt{R}} e^{-u^{2}} \ du = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) \lim_{R \to \infty} \text{erf} \left( i \sqrt{R} \right) $$ \displaystyle = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)$ since the limit evaluates to 1 (which can be evaluated by using the asymptotic expansion of the error function)Depending on whom I ask, I get a different response. Some say it's totally valid; others say that it needs more justification to be valid; while a few contend it's totally invalid. Which is it?I've seen people say that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-ix^{2}} \ dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{i}} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-u^{2}} \ du$. Now that would require more justification.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Random Variable said:
$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-ix^{2}} \ dx = \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{0}^{R} e^{-ix^{2}} \ dx $

I think I'm perfectly justified in treating $i$ like a constant since we're integrating with respect to a real variable.$ \displaystyle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{i}} \ \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{0}^{i\sqrt{R}} e^{-u^{2}} \ du $ EDIT: Initially we were integrating along the positive real axis. By making that substitution, we are now integrating along the line in the complex plane that begins at the origin and makes a 45 degree angle with the positive real axis. But since the exponential function is analytic, the path itself doesn't matter. All that matters is the starting point and the ending point.$= \displaystyle \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{0}^{i\sqrt{R}} e^{-u^{2}} \ du = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) \lim_{R \to \infty} \text{erf} \left( i \sqrt{R} \right) $$ \displaystyle = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)$ since the limit evaluates to 1 (which can be evaluated by using the asymptotic expansion of the error function)Depending on whom I ask, I get a different response. Some say it's totally valid; others say that it needs more justification to be valid; while a few contend it's totally invalid. Which is it?I've seen people say that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-ix^{2}} \ dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{i}} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-u^{2}} \ du$. Now that would require more justification.

For \(x \in \mathbb{R}\) we can write:

\[e^{-ix^2}=\cos(x^2)-i\sin(x^2)\]

So:

\[ \int_0^{\infty}e^{-ix^2}=\int_0^{\infty} \cos(x^2)\;dx - i \int_0^{\infty}\sin(x^2)\; dx = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{8}}(1-i)\]

Which without checking in detail looks like your last line to me.

CB

I think your approach is valid. You've just substituted a different variable, which is allowed as long as the limits of integration are still the same. And since the exponential function is analytic, the path of integration doesn't matter. So your substitution is perfectly fine. As for the justification, you could mention that you are just substituting a different variable and that the path of integration doesn't matter because the function is analytic. That should be enough to convince anyone who doubts your approach.

Related to Is this approach to evaluating a complex integral valid?

What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is an integral that involves complex numbers, which are numbers that contain a real part and an imaginary part. In mathematics, complex integrals are typically used to solve problems involving functions that have complex inputs or outputs.

What is the approach to evaluating a complex integral?

The approach to evaluating a complex integral involves using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be found by taking the difference between its antiderivative at two points. For complex integrals, this involves finding the antiderivative of a complex function and then evaluating it at two points.

Is this approach valid for all complex integrals?

No, this approach may not be valid for all complex integrals. Some complex integrals may require more advanced techniques, such as contour integration or the residue theorem, to evaluate. It is important to carefully consider the properties of the complex function and the path of integration in order to determine the validity of this approach.

How do you determine the validity of this approach for a specific complex integral?

To determine the validity of this approach for a specific complex integral, it is important to analyze the properties of the complex function being integrated and the path of integration. If the function is analytic (differentiable) and the path of integration is simple (does not intersect itself), then this approach is likely to be valid. However, if the function is not analytic or the path of integration is more complex, then other techniques may be necessary.

Are there any limitations to using this approach for evaluating complex integrals?

Yes, there are limitations to using this approach for evaluating complex integrals. This approach may not work for functions that have singularities (points where the function is undefined) or for paths of integration that intersect themselves. In these cases, more advanced techniques may be necessary to accurately evaluate the complex integral.