Is This Basic Proof of the Property of 0 Circular?

In summary, the conversation is about a philosophical question regarding logic and the search for an appropriate philosopher, logician, or resource. The speaker mentions their limited knowledge of formal logic and their current reading on mathematical reasoning, which includes a proof on the property of zero. There is a discussion on how using the properties of zero can prove a statement about zero itself, and the possibility of using vector spaces or foundational mathematics to prove these properties.
AmagicalFishy
Hi, folks. I'm sure this ends up being a philosophical question regarding logic—and I'm hoping someone can point me to an appropriate philosopher, logician, or better: book/paper/website. I want to say that I'm looking for Ludwig Wittgenstein (my reading regarding formal logic is fairly limited), but I'm not entirely certain.

This semester I found that I'm not as well-versed at mathematics as I should be, so I started independently reading some books. Currently I'm going through a book entitled "An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning" which contains this proof:

Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning said:
[Prove]
If a and b are real numbers, then:
ab = 0 [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] a = 0 or b = 0

Now recall that 'P or Q' is logically equivalent to '(not P) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] Q', so the goal may be rewritten as 'a [itex]\neq[/itex] 0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] b = 0. Adopting the direct strategy for proving this gives the following:

Since a [itex]\neq[/itex] 0, we can divide through by a (or multiply through by 1/a) so that ab = 0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] b = 0 as required. A formal proof could be set out as follows.

It is a basic property of 0 that 0 x b = 0 = a x 0. Therefore, a = 0 or b = 0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] ab = 0.

The book proves both the [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] statement and the [itex]\Leftarrow[/itex] statement—and it seems, at first, like a very simple proof. My qualm is this: If someone were to claim, "ab = 0 implies a = 0 or b = 0"—how can using the properties of 0 prove the statement? Isn't that circular, because what we want to prove in the first place is a statement of a property of 0 itself?

Physics news on Phys.org
AmagicalFishy said:
Hi, folks. I'm sure this ends up being a philosophical question regarding logic—and I'm hoping someone can point me to an appropriate philosopher, logician, or better: book/paper/website. I want to say that I'm looking for Ludwig Wittgenstein (my reading regarding formal logic is fairly limited), but I'm not entirely certain.

This semester I found that I'm not as well-versed at mathematics as I should be, so I started independently reading some books. Currently I'm going through a book entitled "An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning" which contains this proof:

The book proves both the [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] statement and the [itex]\Leftarrow[/itex] statement—and it seems, at first, like a very simple proof. My qualm is this: If someone were to claim, "ab = 0 implies a = 0 or b = 0"—how can using the properties of 0 prove the statement? Isn't that circular, because what we want to prove in the first place is a statement of a property of 0 itself?

No. The proof that [itex]x\cdot 0=0\,\,\,\forall x\in\mathbb R\,\,[/itex] is straigthforward using the usual axioms:

[itex]x\cdot 0 =x\cdot (0+0)=x\cdot 0+x\cdot 0\Longrightarrow x\cdot 0+(-x\cdot 0)=x\cdot 0+x\cdot 0+(-x\cdot 0) \Longrightarrow 0 = x\cdot 0\,\,[/itex] and we're done.

The proof of what you want is given in the extract you wrote and it's based on the existence of multiplicative inverse for any

non-zero element in [itex]\mathbb R[/itex].

AmagicalFishy said:

Hey AmagicalFishy and welcome to the forums.

I see where your comment is headed and how it can seem pointless, but the point is to use the logic where you prove a bidirectional implication.

Yes intuitively (and remember most mathematics, if not all has an intuitive basis somewhere in it) is that if something is zero, then something must be zero.

I think to give one possible answer to your question, is that you have to use a few identities for zero, which in your argument I can see has a valid point.

The typical way of defining these things is to use some of the standard arguments that you prove when you prove that something is a vector space. In the vector space proof, you prove ten axioms and one these relates to proving things involving zero.

I don't know the formal way of proving the zero properties, but the involve proving that things don't blow up with things like distributive laws and things like that as well as division. There are a few threads here on this kind of thing where people ask why 0x = 0 and why you can't divide by zero which lends itself to why all the other associative, distributive and all that are defined.

Also the thing gets more complicated if you are working with a general group rather than just a number.

I think though, that if you want to prove the zero property, you can use the kind of things that are done in proving vector spaces, or if you want to get super anal, you can go to the very foundation of mathematics and prove it using the foundational natural number axioms which I think are based on either Peano construction or something similar to it (I know there are problems with Peano construction in terms of things to do with Godels incompleteness theorem which given you are taking logic is probably wise to look into, but I don't know the extent of the implications on proving the zero identities).

AmagicalFishy said:

Not if the properties of 0 used are not the particular one we want to prove. If I want to prove some property of "A", I have to use the fact that it is A! And that means I have to use some properties of A- those that I have already proved.

HallsofIvy said:
Not if the properties of 0 used are not the particular one we want to prove. If I want to prove some property of "A", I have to use the fact that it is A! And that means I have to use some properties of A- those that I have already proved.

Excellent. Really like the explanation. Candid.

FAQ: Is This Basic Proof of the Property of 0 Circular?

1. What is a circular proof?

A circular proof is a type of logical argument where the conclusion is used to support one of the premises. In other words, the argument assumes what it is trying to prove.

2. Why is a circular proof considered invalid?

A circular proof is considered invalid because it does not provide any new evidence or logic to support the conclusion. It simply restates the premise as the conclusion.

3. How can you identify a circular proof?

A circular proof can be identified by looking for a circular or self-referential structure in the argument. This can be seen when the conclusion is used to support one of the premises or when the same idea is repeated in different words.

4. What are the implications of using a circular proof in scientific research?

Using a circular proof in scientific research can lead to false or biased conclusions. It can also undermine the credibility of the research and the scientist, as it goes against the principles of logical reasoning and critical thinking.

5. How can a scientist avoid using circular proofs in their research?

To avoid using circular proofs, a scientist should strive to have a clear and logical structure in their arguments. They should also be open to criticism and constantly evaluate their reasoning to ensure it is not circular. Additionally, using multiple sources of evidence and considering alternative explanations can help avoid circular reasoning.