Is this center of mass question missing information?

In summary: If x and y are both positive, the d = x + y.The dog will be at L - y from shore. The boat will be R + x from shore.Since you want y in your answer, replace x with d - y, so the boat's CoM will be R + (d - y) from shore.Now find an expression for the final CoM for the combination of dog & boat in terms of y, and the substitue x for d - y.In summary, the dog of mass M is standing on a raft at a distance L from the shore. He walks a distance d towards the shore and stops. The boat has a mass of Mb and there is no friction between the boat and water
toesockshoe

Homework Statement

A dog of mass M is standing on a raft so that he is a distance L from the shore. He walks a distance d on the boat toward the shore and then stops. The boats has a mass of Mb. Assume no fricton between the boat and the water. How far is the dog from shore when he stops moving?

I think that the distance between the edge raft and the shore should be given. If i am wrong please tell me where I am going wrong.

Homework Equations

xcmi=xcmf[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the mass of the man be [itex] m_1 [/itex].
There are no external forces so, [itex] x_{icm} = x_{fcm} [/itex].[/B]
Note: we can not assume the person walks to the edge of the boat.
Because we are only interested in the change in the positions, it doesn't matter where the origin is... cause we only care about the change, so I put the origin at the shore.

Here is where I got lost: I let the distance between the shore and the right edge of the boat (assuming the shore is to the right of the boat... so the closer edge) is R.
also, I denoted the horizontal displacement of the boat as x.

so:

[itex] x_{icm} = \frac{M_1L+(M_b+M_1)R}{M_1+M_b} [/itex]

[itex] x_{fcm} = \frac{M_1(L-d) + (M_1+M_b)(R+x)}{M_1+M_b} [/itex]

set the 2 equal, and you have:
[tex] \frac{M_1L+(M_b+M_1)R}{M_1+M_b} = \frac{M_1(L-d) + (M_1+M_b)(R+x)}{M_1+M_b} [/tex]

here is the problem: I have 2 unknowns and one equation. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
toesockshoe said:

Homework Statement

A dog of mass M is standing on a raft so that he is a distance L from the shore. He walks a distance d on the boat toward the shore and then stops. The boats has a mass of Mb. Assume no fricton between the boat and the water. How far is the dog from shore when he stops moving?

I think that the distance between the edge raft and the shore should be given. If i am wrong please tell me where I am going wrong.

Homework Equations

xcmi=xcmf[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the mass of the man be [itex] m_1 [/itex].
There are no external forces so, [itex] x_{icm} = x_{fcm} [/itex].[/B]
Note: we can not assume the person walks to the edge of the boat.
Because we are only interested in the change in the positions, it doesn't matter where the origin is... cause we only care about the change, so I put the origin at the shore.

Here is where I got lost: I let the distance between the shore and the right edge of the boat (assuming the shore is to the right of the boat... so the closer edge) is R.
also, I denoted the horizontal displacement of the boat as x.

so:

[itex] x_{icm} = \frac{m_1L+(M_b+M_1)R}{M_1+M_b} [/itex]

[itex] x_{fcm} = \frac{m(L-d) + (M_1+M_b)(R+x)}{M_1+M_b} [/itex]

set the 2 equal, and you have:
[tex] \frac{m_1L+(M_b+M_1)R}{M_1+M_b} = \frac{m(L-d) + (M_1+M_b)(R+x)}{M_1+M_b} [/tex]

here is the problem: I have 2 unknowns and one equation. Where did I go wrong?
First of all, there is enough information given to solve the problem.

What are all of those masses?

There are only two objects with mass involved here. The dog (or person) has mass, M . The boat (or raft) has mass Mb .

You have 4 different masses in your equations.

SammyS said:
First of all, there is enough information given to solve the problem.

What are all of those masses?

There are only two objects with mass involved here. The dog (or person) has mass, M . The boat (or raft) has mass Mb .

You have 4 different masses in your equations.
sorry, i messed up on the latex. i believe i changed it correctly now. there are only 2 masses.

toesockshoe said:
sorry, i messed up on the latex. i believe i changed it correctly now. there are only 2 masses.
That part is now fixed.

There are still a number of difficulties with you equations.

To make this easier to fix-up, let L be the initial position of the dog (as you have it). However, to truly get the center of mass of the combination, R should represent the initial position of the CoM of the boat (without the dog) .

Then your equation for the position of the initial position of the CoM of the pair is almost correct. It should be
##\displaystyle \ (x_{cm})_i = \frac{M_1 L+M_b R}{M_1+M_b} \ ##​

The dog moves a distance of d relative to the boat. Note: If you then say the position of the dog is L-d, that means you are saying that's your final answer is L-d , but that's incorrect.

Think of it this way. If the dog moves a distance of y towards the shoreline and the boat moves a distance of x away from the shoreline, the how are x and y related to d ?

SammyS said:
That part is now fixed.Think of it this way. If the dog moves a distance of y towards the shoreline and the boat moves a distance of x away from the shoreline, the how are x and y related to d ?

x*the mass of the boat+dog=-y*the mass of the dog right?

toesockshoe said:
x*the mass of the boat+dog=-y*the mass of the dog right?
For what ?

SammyS said:
For what ?
nevermind. is d+x=y?

toesockshoe said:
nevermind. is d+x=y?
If x and y are both positive, the d = x + y.

The dog will be at L - y from shore. The boat will be R + x from shore.

Since you want y in your answer, replace x with d - y, so the boat's CoM will be R + (d - y) from shore.

Now find an expression for the final CoM for the combination of dog & boat.

SammyS said:
If x and y are both positive, the d = x + y.

The dog will be at L - y from shore. The boat will be R + x from shore.

Since you want y in your answer, replace x with d - y, so the boat's CoM will be R + (d - y) from shore.

Now find an expression for the final CoM for the combination of dog & boat.

ok... so is the new CoM final:

[itex] \frac{(L-y)M_{dog}+(R+d-y)M_{boat}}{M_{dog}+M_{boat}} [/itex] ?

ugh i can't get latex to work: here:

((L-x)Md + (R+d-y)Mb)/(Md + Mb)... Mb stands for the mass of hte boat and Md stands for hte mass of the dog.

that is still 2 unknowns though.

toesockshoe said:
ok... so is the new CoM final:

[itex] \frac{(L-y)M_{dog}+(R+d-y)M_{boat}}{M_{dog}+M_{boat}} [/itex] ?

that is still 2 unknowns though.
You're missing a final ' } ' .

That looks good.

(Why change variable names now?)

SammyS said:
You're missing a final ' } ' .

That looks good.

(Why change variable names now?)

im sorry i don't understand... where did i change the variable names?

toesockshoe said:
im sorry i don't understand... where did i change the variable names?
Mboat was Mb .

Mdog was M1 .

Right ?

SammyS said:
Mboat was Mb .

Mdog was M1 .

Right ?
oh sorry, yes yes. ok so how can i continue? if i set it equal to the initial center of mass equation, then I have 2 unknowns and 1 equation.

toesockshoe said:
oh sorry, yes yes. ok so how can i continue? if i set it equal to the initial center of mass equation, then I have 2 unknowns and 1 equation.
Not really.

Treat d as a known quantity.

SammyS said:
Not really.

Treat d as a known quantity.
but R and y are unknown.

toesockshoe said:
but R and y are unknown.
You know y in terms of x and d.
When you equate initial and final mass centres, maybe, just maybe, R will vanish?

I feel working with explicit mass centres has made this unnecessarily complex, though. If the dog is distance x closer to the shore and the boat is distance y further away, there's a simple relationship between x, y, and the two masses.

haruspex said:
When you equate initial and final mass centres, maybe, just maybe, R will vanish?

I feel working with explicit mass centres has made this unnecessarily complex, though. If the dog is distance x closer to the shore and the boat is distance y further away, there's a simple relationship between x, y, and the two masses.
haruspex said:

is that relationship:

mdog * x = m(boat+dog)*y?

toesockshoe said:
is that relationship:

Not quite right.

SammyS said:
Not quite right.
ok what is the relationship?

toesockshoe said:
ok what is the relationship?
What is the equation that you're solving?

SammyS said:
I'm trying to find a relation between x y and the two masses

SammyS said:
Well, I thought you were equating the two forms you have for xcm:

##\displaystyle\ \frac{M_{dog} L+M_{boat} R}{M_{dog}+M_{boat}}=\frac{(L-y)M_{dog}+(R+d-y)M_{boat}}{M_{dog}+M_{boat}}\ ##

then solving for y .

For simpler equations you can set ##x_{icm}=x_{fcm} = 0##

Another simplification is to start the dog at the center of mass of the boat.

toesockshoe said:
is that relationship:

Did the dog move through a distance y?

haruspex said:
Did the dog move through a distance y?
no, mdog*x=mboat*y right?

toesockshoe said:
no, mdog*x=mboat*y right?
Yes.

Related to Is this center of mass question missing information?

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. Why is it important to know the center of mass?

Knowing the center of mass is important because it helps us understand the overall motion and stability of an object or system. It also allows us to calculate the effects of external forces on the object.

3. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by dividing the total mass of an object or system by its total volume or by using the formula: xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where x represents the position of each mass and m represents the mass of each component.

4. What information is needed to calculate the center of mass?

To calculate the center of mass, we need to know the mass and position of each component in an object or system. This can include the mass of individual objects, as well as the distance from the center of mass of each object to the overall center of mass.

5. What happens if information is missing when trying to calculate the center of mass?

If information is missing when trying to calculate the center of mass, the calculation will not be accurate. This can lead to incorrect predictions about the motion and stability of an object or system. It is important to have all necessary information to accurately determine the center of mass.