Is this correct? (spider web tension question)

In summary, the spider builds a web that is supported by four strands. The tensions in the other three strands are as follows: strand 1: 21 mN (20 degrees East of North), strand 2: 16 mN (60 degrees East of South), strand 3: 18 mN (40 degrees West of South). The spider calculates the tension in strand 4, assuming the web is stable. The tensions in the other three strands are as follows: strand 1: 21 mN (20 degrees East of North), strand 2: 16 mN (60 degrees East of South), strand 3: 18 mN (40 degrees West of South). The spider finds that the tension in strand 4 is 0.014 N.
phy_
A spider builds its web in a window frame that is lying on the ground. It is supported by four main strands. Calculate the force of tension in strand 4 assuming the web is stable. The tensions in the other three strands are as follows:
strand 1: 21 mN (20 degrees East of North)
strand 2: 16 mN (60 degrees East of South)
strand 3: 18 mN (40 degrees West of South)

if i solve y

T1 cos20(0.021N)
=0.019 N
T2 cos60(0.016N)
=0.008 N
T3 cos 40(0.018N)
=0.013 N

T4 y total 0.014

solve for x
sin20(0.021N)
=0.00718 N
sin60(0.016)
=0.013 N
sin(40)(0.018N)
=0.011N

T4 x total 0.0162

c squared = 0.0162 squared + 0.014 squared
c=0.0214

tan theta = 0.014/0.0162 = 0.0214 N40.8W degrees

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't see to deal with the directions correctly.

0.019 - 0.008 - 0.0013 = ?

could you explain why you would subtract?

I find your work hard to follow. I think (like Carid notes) you aren't quite dealing with directions well. In a problem like this, I would first take all individual strings and break them into their components along perpendicular directions: in your case, east and north... and maybe you'd even like to note west and south instead of using negative east and negative north (these negatives would explain the subtraction that Carid is noting).

for instance I would say:
string 1: 0.019 N North + 0.00718 N East
string 2: ...
string 3: ...

From the looks of the numbers, I'm guessing you averaged the magnitudes of each of the forces? If so, that is not the correct approach. Otherwise it looks like you took the right steps.

I highly recommend drawing a diagram of the web, keeping in mind that you are looking for the sum of the forces about the center point where the strands intersect.

Once that is done, take physics girl's advice. Choose one direction as positive for each component (x and y), then add any positive force and subtract the negative forces.

Thank-you very much. Question solved.

Related to Is this correct? (spider web tension question)

1. What is spider web tension?

Spider web tension refers to the amount of force or tightness in a spider's web. It is an important factor in a spider's ability to catch prey and maintain the structural integrity of its web.

2. How do spiders adjust the tension of their webs?

Spiders produce silk from specialized glands in their abdomen and use their legs to manipulate and pull the silk to create different levels of tension. They also use their body weight and movements to adjust the tension of their webs.

3. What factors can affect spider web tension?

There are several factors that can affect spider web tension, including wind, humidity, temperature, and the type and thickness of silk used. Other factors may include the size and weight of the spider, as well as the location and structure of the web.

4. Why is spider web tension important?

Spider web tension is important for the functionality and survival of a spider's web. It helps the web trap and hold prey, withstand external forces, and maintain its shape. Without proper tension, a spider's web may not be able to effectively catch prey or support the spider's weight.

5. Can spider web tension be measured or quantified?

Yes, spider web tension can be measured using specialized equipment such as a spider tensiometer. This device measures the force required to break a strand of spider silk and can provide an indication of the overall tension of a spider's web.