Is this function injective, surjective, or both?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a given function is injective, surjective, or both. The function is shown to have a horizontal asymptote at x = -2 and a limit of 1 at both infinities. The conversation also mentions solving the problem analytically and the possibility of posting the reasoning for future reference.
xpoferens

Homework Statement

The following function f is a function from R to R. Determine whether f is injective (one-to-one), surjective (onto), or both. Please give reasons.

Homework Equations

f(x) = (x+1)/(x+2) if x != -2
f(x) = 1 when x = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x) = 1/(x+2)2 > 0 for all x

and the limits at both infinities are 1 using l'hopital.

So the way I see it is the function grows from 1+ when x is a large negative, and then there's a horizontal assymptote at x = -2 so just before x = -2 f(x) tends to infinity and just after x = -2 the f(x) goes from negative infinity and gradually increases to 1. and then ofcourse at the point x = - 2 f(x) = 1 because that value has been forced in the definition.

So now by visualising the graph I have a strong suspicion that this function is bijective, but I have no idea how to prove it 'analytically'

Physics news on Phys.org
OK nevermind i figured it out. Is there a way to remove my original post? Or should I post my reasoning incase it could be helpful to others?

Last edited:
Usually the latter is preferred

FAQ: Is this function injective, surjective, or both?

1. What does it mean for a function to be injective?

An injective function is one in which each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. This means that no two elements in the domain can map to the same element in the range.

2. How can I determine if a function is injective?

To determine if a function is injective, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not injective. Another way is to check if f(x1) = f(x2) implies x1 = x2 for any x1 and x2 in the domain.

3. What is the difference between an injective and a surjective function?

An injective function has a one-to-one relationship between the domain and range, while a surjective function has a onto relationship, meaning every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. A function can be both injective and surjective, in which case it is called bijective.

4. How do I know if a function is surjective or not?

To determine if a function is surjective, you can check if every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. If there is an element in the range that is not mapped to by any element in the domain, then the function is not surjective.

5. Can a function be both injective and surjective at the same time?

Yes, a function can be both injective and surjective, in which case it is called bijective. This means that each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range, and every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain.