Is this ODE a Bernoulli Equation? Exploring Solutions with Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses identifying and solving a first order, non-linear differential equation. It is determined to be separable and can be manipulated to solve using the separation method.
Houeto
upload_2016-7-15_16-38-10.png

consider ODE :
upload_2016-7-15_16-38-46.png

Show that the solution to this ODE is:
upload_2016-7-15_16-40-23.png

Can someone tell what kind of ODE is it?I thought,it's on the form of Bernoulli ODE with P(x)=0.Is it possible to still solve it by using Bernoulli Methodology?I mean by substituting u=y^1-a with a=2?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's separable. Divide both sides by ##y^{2}##, multiply both sides by dx, and you'll see what I mean.

Houeto said:
Can someone tell what kind of ODE is it?
The DE is a first order, non-linear differential equation. It's first order, since the highest derivative is a first derivative. It's nonlinear, since the dependent variable is not first-degree.

As Twigg points out, it turns out to be separable, so you can manipulate it to get y and dy on one side and x and dx on the other. Solving DEs by separation is one of the first techniques presented in most diff. equation textbooks.

Thanks Guys!

Related to Is this ODE a Bernoulli Equation? Exploring Solutions with Substitution

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and their derivatives with respect to the dependent variable.

2. What types of ODEs are there?

There are several types of ODEs, including first-order, second-order, and higher-order ODEs. First-order ODEs involve only first derivatives, while second-order ODEs involve second derivatives. Higher-order ODEs involve derivatives of order three or higher.

3. How do I know what kind of ODE I am dealing with?

The type of ODE can be determined by looking at the highest order derivative present in the equation. For example, if the highest order derivative is first order, it is a first-order ODE. If the highest order derivative is second order, it is a second-order ODE.

4. What are some common applications of ODEs?

ODEs are used in many fields of science and engineering to model and solve problems, such as in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are also used in the development of computer algorithms and software.

5. How do I solve an ODE?

The method for solving an ODE depends on its type and complexity. Some ODEs can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques, while others require numerical methods and computer simulations. It is important to understand the properties and characteristics of the ODE before attempting to solve it.