Is This ODE Solvable by Substitution?

• MHB
  • Thread starter find_the_fun
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the given ODE, we make the substitution y=ux and divide through by x to get a simpler equation.
find_the_fun
Solve the ODE by making an appropriate substitution. \(\displaystyle (x-y)dx+xdy=0\)

So the textbook presents "three different kinds of first-order differential equations that are solvable by means of a substitution" so I guess my first step is to determine which of the 3 it is.

The first is homogeneous equation: if \(\displaystyle f(tx, ty)=t^\alpha (x, y)\) I'm unclear how to test this on the question because I don't know what f is. Is it \(\displaystyle f(x, y)=(x-y)+x\) where you just drop the dx and dy? If it is, then this works and \(\displaystyle f(tx, ty)=(tx-ty)+tx=t(f(x,y))\)

For homoegeneous equations it's recommended to make the substitution y=ux so then the question becomes \(\displaystyle (x-ux)dx+x(xdu+udx)=0\)
\(\displaystyle (x-ux)dx+x^2 du + xudx =0\)
which simplifies to \(\displaystyle x dx +x^2 du =0\) I don't know what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
find_the_fun said:
... for homoegeneous equations it's recommended to make the substitution y=ux so then the question becomes \(\displaystyle (x-ux)dx+x(xdu+udx)=0\)
which simplifies to \(\displaystyle x dx +x^2 du =0\) I don't know what to do next.
... first You can further simplify writing...

$\displaystyle d x = - x\ d u \implies d u = - \frac{d x}{x}\ (1)$

... and now You can integrate both terms of (1)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

find_the_fun said:
Solve the ODE by making an appropriate substitution. \(\displaystyle (x-y)dx+xdy=0\)

So the textbook presents "three different kinds of first-order differential equations that are solvable by means of a substitution" so I guess my first step is to determine which of the 3 it is.

The first is homogeneous equation: if \(\displaystyle f(tx, ty)=t^\alpha (x, y)\) I'm unclear how to test this on the question because I don't know what f is. Is it \(\displaystyle f(x, y)=(x-y)+x\) where you just drop the dx and dy? If it is, then this works and \(\displaystyle f(tx, ty)=(tx-ty)+tx=t(f(x,y))\)

For homoegeneous equations it's recommended to make the substitution y=ux so then the question becomes \(\displaystyle (x-ux)dx+x(xdu+udx)=0\)

Homogeneous DE's are of the form $f(x,y) \, dx+g(x,y) \, dy=0$, where $f$ and $g$ are homogeneous functions of the same type. That is,
\begin{align*}
f(\lambda x,\lambda y)&=\lambda^n f(x,y),\quad\text{and} \\
g(\lambda x,\lambda y)&=\lambda^n g(x,y).
\end{align*}

So in answer to your question about how to identify homogeneous DE's, you have a separate function for each coefficient of a differential.

Then you do a substitution as you've mentioned, and as chisigma has hinted at, a nice thing happens when you continue.

If I were to solve the give ODE, I would first arrange as:

\(\displaystyle x\d{y}{x}=y-x\)

Divide through by $x$:

\(\displaystyle \d{y}{x}=\frac{y}{x}-1\)

Use the substitution \(\displaystyle v=\frac{y}{x}\implies \d{y}{x}=v+x\d{v}{x}\) and we now have:

\(\displaystyle v+x\d{v}{x}=v-1\)

Subtract through by $v$:

\(\displaystyle x\d{v}{x}=-1\)

Divide through by $x$:

\(\displaystyle \d{v}{x}=-\frac{1}{x}\)

This is equivalent to what is given by chisigma above.

The second type is exact equations: if M(x,y)dx+N(x,y)dy=0 where M_y=N_x, then the equation can be solved by finding a function F(x,y) such that F_x=M and F_y=N. In this case, the equation is not exact as M_y=1 and N_x=1, so there is no function F(x,y) that satisfies the condition.

The third type is linear equations: if the equation can be written in the form dy/dx+p(x)y=q(x), then the substitution y=v(x)u(x) can be made to solve the equation. However, in this case, the equation does not fit this form as there is no p(x) term.

In conclusion, none of the three types of equations discussed in the textbook apply to this specific equation. It is possible that there may be another substitution or method that can be used to solve this equation, but without more context or information, it is difficult to determine the most appropriate approach.

Related to Is This ODE Solvable by Substitution?

What is the concept of "solutions by substitutions"?

"Solutions by substitutions" is a problem-solving technique used in mathematics and science to find solutions to systems of equations. It involves substituting one variable in an equation with an expression in terms of another variable, and then solving the resulting equation.

When is "solutions by substitutions" typically used?

This method is typically used when there are two or more equations with the same number of variables. It is particularly useful when one equation contains a variable with a coefficient of 1.

What are the steps involved in solving a system of equations using "solutions by substitutions"?

First, choose one equation and solve for one variable in terms of the other. Then, substitute this expression into the other equations to create a new equation with one less variable. Continue this process until only one variable remains, and solve for its value. Finally, substitute this value back into the other equations to find the values of the remaining variables.

Are there any limitations to using "solutions by substitutions"?

Yes, this method can only be used for linear equations, meaning that all variables are raised to the first power. It also works best when one equation contains a variable with a coefficient of 1.

What are some tips for successfully using "solutions by substitutions"?

One tip is to choose the equation with the simplest expression to solve for a variable. It is also helpful to keep track of substitutions and simplify equations as much as possible. Finally, always remember to check your answers by substituting them back into the original equations.