Is this operator diagonalizable?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jack3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, we discussed the properties of the space M, consisting of all 2 × 2 complex matrices satisfying 〖(X)bar〗^t = -X (skew-hermitian). We considered M as a vector space over R and defined a bilinear form B on M by B(X,Y) = -tr(XY). We showed that B takes real values, is symmetric and positive definite. We also defined the operator ad_A: M → M for any A ∈ M by ad_A(X) = AX – XA and proved that it is diagonalizable. Finally, we computed the eigenvalues of operator ad_A for A = (i 1; -1 i).
Jack3
Let M be the space of all 2 × 2 complex matrices,
satisfying 〖(X)bar〗^t = -X (skew-hermitian).
Consider M as a vector space over R.
Define a bilinear form B on M by B(X,Y) = -tr(XY)

(1) Show that B takes real values, is symmetric and positive definite.

(2) For any A ∈ M , define the operator ad_A: M → M by ad_A(X) = AX – XA.
Show that operator ad_A is diagonalizable.

(3) Let the matrix
A =
( i 1)
(-1 i) .
Compute the eigenvalues of operator ad_A.(For part (2), Maybe we should show there is a basis of M consisting of eigenvectors of ad_A?)Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If $X,Y\in M$ then,

$X=\begin{bmatrix}{x_1i}&{x_2+x_3i}\\{-x_2+x_3i}&{x_4i}\end{bmatrix},\;Y=\begin{bmatrix}{y_1i}&{y_2+y_3i}\\{-y_2+y_3i}&{y_4i}\end{bmatrix}\quad(x_i,y_j\in \mathbb{R})$.

Now, verify: $B(X,Y)=-\mbox{trace }(XY)=\ldots=x_1y_1+x_2y_2+x_3y_3+x_4y_4$

Related to Is this operator diagonalizable?

1. What does it mean for an operator to be diagonalizable?

An operator is diagonalizable if it can be represented by a diagonal matrix. This means that the operator can be decomposed into simpler operations that can be performed independently of each other.

2. How do you determine if an operator is diagonalizable?

To determine if an operator is diagonalizable, you need to find its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. If the operator has n distinct eigenvalues, and there exists a set of n linearly independent eigenvectors, then the operator is diagonalizable.

3. Can a non-square operator be diagonalizable?

No, a non-square operator cannot be diagonalizable. Diagonalization requires the operator to have the same number of rows and columns, which is only possible for square operators.

4. Is every operator diagonalizable?

No, not every operator is diagonalizable. Some operators may have repeated eigenvalues or a lack of linearly independent eigenvectors, making them non-diagonalizable.

5. What is the significance of an operator being diagonalizable?

Having an operator be diagonalizable allows for easier computation and analysis. It simplifies the operator into a diagonal form, making it easier to understand and work with mathematically. It also allows for certain operations, such as exponentiation, to be performed more easily.