Is this plasma (picture in thread)

In summary: I don't think there is enough energy in the flash to do that and, anyway, they don't arc to anything.
Kidphysics
http://postimg.org/image/d530nwobf/

those are plasma arcs emitting from the gun no? Ionized air?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Agreed. While I'm not sure about the colour reproduction, it certainly looks like any normal muzzle flash for a low-power round such as a 9mm or a 40 Short and Weak.

Kidphysics said:
http://postimg.org/image/d530nwobf/

those are plasma arcs emitting from the gun no? Ionized air?

no ... those fine trails are from hot particles of the charge power used ... (cordite - gunpowder- what ever is used these days) being ejected from the barrel after the round has left the barrel

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
davenn said:
no ... those fine trails are from hot particles of the charge power used ... (cordite - gunpowder- what ever is used these days) being ejected from the barrel after the round has left the barrel

Dave

So its hot particles are radiating that priduces the trail

Kidphysics said:
So its hot particles are radiating that priduces the trail

Right. The big ball right in front of the muzzle is hot gas from the explosion. The little sparkly streaks are powder that is still burning. All firearms eject the bullet before all of the propellant is consumed. Some suppressed versions disguise that by keeping the flash inside a secondary sleeve beyond the barrel, but they all do it.
The reason that I speculated a weak calibre for the picture is that it seems to be a pretty tame output. My .44 magnum Super Blackhawk laid out a flash almost half a metre long. Conversely, my 7.65mm FN27 was barely noticeable, even in a dark environment, and that was with hot-loaded military steel-jacket ammo. The "overage" is usually proportional to the power of the round.

The jagged trajectories of the hot material does resemble a lightning stroke or the trails in a plasma discharge globe but they are not. I don't think there is enough energy in the flash to do that and, anyway, they don't arc to anything.

Some people increase the effect of the muzzleflash using phosphorous concoctions - in those you get even bigger jagged trails with no suggestion that these are somehow miniature lightning.

There are lots of pic of regular muzzle-flashes online - go look - this one is about average.
But it is still a cool shot ;)

Simon Bridge said:
Some people increase the effect of the muzzleflash using phosphorous concoctions
That is frequently done with the blanks in movie guns.

FAQ: Is this plasma (picture in thread)

What is plasma?

Plasma is a state of matter in which atoms are ionized, meaning they have lost or gained electrons. This creates a highly charged and reactive gas that is often referred to as the fourth state of matter.

How is plasma created?

Plasma can be created by heating a gas to extremely high temperatures, causing the atoms to become ionized. It can also be created through the use of strong electric fields or through the process of nuclear fusion.

What are some common examples of plasma?

The most commonly encountered example of plasma is the sun, which is composed mostly of ionized hydrogen and helium. Other examples include lightning, fluorescent light bulbs, and plasma televisions.

What are the properties of plasma?

Plasma is a highly conductive gas and is often used in technologies such as plasma cutting and welding. It is also able to generate and respond to magnetic fields, making it useful for applications such as fusion research and particle accelerators.

What are the potential uses of plasma?

Plasma has a wide range of potential uses in various industries, including energy production, waste treatment, and materials processing. It is also being researched for potential use in medical treatments, such as sterilization and wound healing.