Is this Proof of Equality Correct?

• Thread starter Mathematicsresear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: E.g. are you allowed to use ##x<y## if you have ##x-y##? Do you have ##x<y \Rightarrow x+z<y+z##?As an expert summarizer, I am not able to provide feedback or engage in discussions about the content. My role is to summarize the conversation, which is:In summary, the conversation was about proving the transitivity of the binary relation "=" on the set of natural numbers, where x=y and y=z implies x=z. The proof involved using the ordering of numbers and the uniqueness of 0, but there was some confusion over whether this was enough to prove transitivity or if there needed to be a definition for "=" in order to use it in the proof.
Mathematicsresear

Homework Statement

Prove the following:

If x=y and y=z then x=z.

Now, this seems very obvious, and it is without a doubt correct. However, I am curious as to if the following proof is correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume x does not equal to z, so that means two cases:

Case 1) x>z, so z-x<0 and since x=y, z-y<0 which is a contradiction.

Case 2) z>x, so x-z<0 and since y=z or x=y ( I can use either), that means x-y<0 which is a contradiction. Therefore it has to be that if x=y and y=z then x=z.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematicsresear said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following:

If x=y and y=z then x=z.

Now, this seems very obvious, and it is without a doubt correct. However, I am curious as to if the following proof is correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume x does not equal to z, so that means two cases:

Case 1) x>z, so z-x<0 and since x=y, z-y<0 which is a contradiction.

Case 2) z>x, so x-z<0 and since y=z or x=y ( I can use either), that means x-y<0 which is a contradiction. Therefore it has to be that if x=y and y=z then x=z.
I'm not sure whether you can use the ordering. If ##x,y,z## weren't numbers, the transitivity of ##"="## would still be given. Transitivity is the name of the assertion you want to prove. It somehow transports the burden simply to somewhere else. Normally transitivity is part of a definition, a requirement. Thus the question is: what does ##"="## mean? Do you have a definition for it?

You have in principle shown: ##x=y \wedge y=z \wedge x\neq z\,\Rightarrow\, y\neq z##, because we can substitute ##y## for ##x## and then have a contradiction. But isn't this substitution already the transitivity which we want to show?

If you have the ordering as a given, plus the uniqueness of ##0##, then your proof is o.k. because you translated the problem to the uniqueness of ##0##.

Last edited by a moderator:
fresh_42 said:
I'm not sure whether you can use the ordering. If ##x,y,z## weren't numbers, the transitivity of ##"="## would still be given. Transitivity is the name of the assertion you want to prove. It somehow transports the burden simply to somewhere else. Normally transitivity is part of a definition, a requirement. Thus the question is: what does ##"="## mean? Do you have a definition for it?

You have in principle shown: ##x=y \wedge y=z \wedge x\neq z\,\Rightarrow\, y\neq z##, because we can substitute ##y## for ##x## and then have a contradiction. But isn't this substitution already the transitivity which we want to show?

If you have the ordering as a given, plus the uniqueness of ##0##, then your proof is o.k. because you translated the problem to the uniqueness of ##0##.
= is the binary relation on the set of natural numbers, for instance, 1=1, 2=2 and n=n.

Mathematicsresear said:
= is the binary relation on the set of natural numbers, for instance, 1=1, 2=2 and n=n.
Yes, but as a binary relation it should have some properties which defines it. Usually it is reflexivity ##x=x##, symmetry ##x=y \Rightarrow y=x## and transitivity ##x=y \wedge y=z \Rightarrow x=z##. But as you should show the latter, there must be something else we can use instead. One possibility is your way with the calculation rules, but then we already use the relation. So it's a bit confusing.

E.g. your proof substitutes ##z## by ##y##. But if this is allowed, then transitivity follows directly by this substitution and we don't need the difference. That's why I'm asking what is given.

Related to Is this Proof of Equality Correct?

1. What is the definition of equality?

The concept of equality refers to the state of being equal or having the same value, status, or rights as another person or thing.

2. How do you prove equality mathematically?

In mathematics, equality is typically proven using the transitive, symmetric, and reflexive properties. This means that if two quantities are equal, they can be replaced by each other in any equation or expression without altering the truth of the statement.

3. Can equality be proven in all situations?

No, there are certain situations where equality cannot be proven. For example, in some abstract mathematical concepts or philosophical arguments, equality may be a matter of debate and cannot be definitively proven.

4. What is the role of evidence in proving equality?

Evidence plays a crucial role in proving equality, as it provides support for the claim that two things are indeed equal. This evidence can come in the form of logical reasoning, mathematical calculations, or empirical data.

5. What are some common misconceptions about proof of equality?

One common misconception is that equality is always a binary concept, where two things are either equal or not equal. However, there are various degrees of equality, such as approximate equality or equality within a certain margin of error. Another misconception is that equality is always objective, when in reality, it can also be subjective and dependent on one's perspective or values.

Back