Is this song offensive or enlightening?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the admiration for Dave Matthews' song "American Baby" and wondering if it has the intended effect. The conversation also touches on other songs by Dave Matthews, such as "Don't Drink the Water" and mentions a new picture and an article from The Onion. The conversation ends with a humorous exchange about age.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I adore this song, and I think that more people should hear it. I've heard him talk about why he wrote it, and I wonder if it actually has the effect that I think he intended.

If you listen to the whole song, I'd like to know what you think of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGdr2ly4phQ" by Dave Matthews

(He starts the wrong verse at around 2:41, if you notice something odd there. I think he handles it super as always. Here is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwo3Vl3SYzQ".)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I like Dave Matthews, his song American Baby is a good song.

Hes from south africa and an atheist.

stayyyyy, american babyyy.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I like Dave Matthews, his song American Baby is a good song.
I just happened to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymCjxVwkoE4" today. It's sweet. I wonder if the whole thing is available somewhere.

What do you think of Don't Drink the Water, especially the above version (he mixes in another song with it)?

I thought it was a good song. (Nice new picture BTW, :wink: For some reason I thought you were 40 :confused: :smile:)

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39670

:smile:

Related to Is this song offensive or enlightening?

1. Is the use of certain language or slurs in a song considered offensive?

The use of certain language or slurs in a song can certainly be considered offensive, as it can perpetuate harmful stereotypes and marginalize certain groups of people. It is important to consider the impact of these words and whether they contribute to a culture of discrimination and prejudice.

2. How can we determine if a song is offensive or enlightening?

Determining if a song is offensive or enlightening can be a complex and subjective process. It often involves looking at the lyrics, context, and intended audience of the song. It is important to critically evaluate the messages and themes being portrayed in the song and consider the potential impact on different groups of people.

3. Can a song be both offensive and enlightening?

Yes, a song can contain elements that are both offensive and enlightening. It is possible for a song to address important social issues and promote positive change, while also including language or content that is offensive or harmful. In these cases, it is important to acknowledge and address the problematic aspects of the song while also recognizing its potential for enlightenment.

4. How can we have productive discussions about the offensiveness of a song?

Having productive discussions about the offensiveness of a song requires open-mindedness, empathy, and a willingness to listen and learn from different perspectives. It is important to approach these discussions with respect and to actively listen to the experiences and perspectives of those who may be affected by the song.

5. Should offensive songs be censored or banned?

The decision to censor or ban a song is a complex and nuanced one. While some may argue for the importance of free speech and artistic expression, others may argue that certain songs perpetuate harmful ideologies and should not be given a platform. Ultimately, it is important for individuals and society as a whole to critically evaluate the messages and impact of songs and make informed decisions about whether they should be censored or banned.