Is This the Correct Derivative for sin^(-1)(3x) + ln(sqrt(x) sqrt(sec x))?

• Thread starter 3songs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Just double check your parentheses and make sure they are in the right places.In summary, the derivative of sin^-1(3x) + ln[sqrt(x*sec(x))] is 3/(sqrt(1-(3x)^2)) + 1/(2x) + tanx/2.
3songs

Homework Statement

sin-13x+ln sqrt(x) sqrt(sec x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a very long solution, which is hard to type in. My final answer is:
-3cos3x/sin23x + (1+xtanx)/2x

I don't check it with a derivative calculator because usually it makes mistakes. I ask someone to solve the problem and see if this is the right answer.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is very interesting...My answer is completely different from the given on the website. I also tweaked a formula, however, it doesn't help, the answer is still far off mine.
Can anyone solve the derivative please by hand?...

It would help if you clarified exactly what the function is. Your notation is a bit ambiguous. Besides the question about the log that Raskolnikov raised, is the first term the arcsin or is it the reciprocal of sin? That notation usually means arcsin 3x, but you've interpreted it as 1/sin 3x.

I love WolframAlpha. There's an option to show the solution for the derivation. Just click the option "show steps" located on the upper-right corner of the Derivative box where it displays the answer.

vela said:
It would help if you clarified exactly what the function is. Your notation is a bit ambiguous. Besides the question about the log that Raskolnikov raised, is the first term the arcsin or is it the reciprocal of sin? That notation usually means arcsin 3x, but you've interpreted it as 1/sin 3x.

My bad.

the original formula is

sin-1(3x)+ln [sqrt(xsecx)]

The first term means arcsin 3x, not 1/(sin 3x). So try differentiating that.

Differentiating the second term is a bit simpler if you use a properties of the log to rewrite it as

[tex]\log \sqrt{x \sec x} = \log (x \sec x)^{1/2} = \frac{1}{2} \log (x \sec x) = \frac{1}{2} (\log x + \log \sec x)[/tex]

Raskolnikov said:
I love WolframAlpha. There's an option to show the solution for the derivation. Just click the option "show steps" located on the upper-right corner of the Derivative box where it displays the answer.

Sometimes W|A integrates oddly though... I once saw it do four u-subs to the same variable chain, when a simple parts integral would suffice.

Char. Limit said:
Sometimes W|A integrates oddly though... I once saw it do four u-subs to the same variable chain, when a simple parts integral would suffice.

true true...probably some programming miscalculation. it's still a nice site on a whole though. and wolfram's mathematica site is pretty useful too.

vela said:
The first term means arcsin 3x, not 1/(sin 3x). So try differentiating that.

Differentiating the second term is a bit simpler if you use a properties of the log to rewrite it as

[tex]\log \sqrt{x \sec x} = \log (x \sec x)^{1/2} = \frac{1}{2} \log (x \sec x) = \frac{1}{2} (\log x + \log \sec x)[/tex]

Based on your suggestion, I got:

arcsin 3x+1/2(logx+logsecx)
3/(sqrt(1-(3x)2)+1/(2x)+1/(2secx)*tanx

Am I right?

Close. The derivative of sec(x) is sec(x)tan(x), not just tan(x), in the last part.

Char. Limit said:
Close. The derivative of sec(x) is sec(x)tan(x), not just tan(x), in the last part.

OK, so the last part of my equation is

tanx/2secxtanx=1/2secx

?
Thank you!

3songs said:
OK, so the last part of my equation is

tanx/2secxtanx=1/2secx

?
Thank you!

Not quite. Originally, you wrote 1/sec(x) * tan(x). This was close, but it needs to be (1/sec(x))(sec(x)tan(x)).

Consider this little fact:

[tex]\left(log\left(f\left(x\right)\right)\right)'=\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}[/tex]

So, since f(x)=sec(x), f'(x)=sec(x)tan(x).

Char. Limit said:
Not quite. Originally, you wrote 1/sec(x) * tan(x). This was close, but it needs to be (1/sec(x))(sec(x)tan(x)).

Consider this little fact:

[tex]\left(log\left(f\left(x\right)\right)\right)'=\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}[/tex]

So, since f(x)=sec(x), f'(x)=sec(x)tan(x).

How silly I am.
After I make these changes, I have:

3/(sqrt(1-(3x)2) +1/(2x) +tanx/2

Is this the final answer?

3songs said:
How silly I am.
After I make these changes, I have:

3/(sqrt(1-(3x)2) +1/(2x) +tanx/2

Is this the final answer?

Looks good to me.

FAQ: Is This the Correct Derivative for sin^(-1)(3x) + ln(sqrt(x) sqrt(sec x))?

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. It is essentially the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why do we need to find derivatives?

Derivatives are important in many areas of science and engineering, as they help us understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their future values. They are especially useful in calculus, where they are used to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.

3. How do you find a derivative?

The process of finding a derivative involves using mathematical rules and formulas to calculate the slope of a function at a given point. This can be done using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the complexity of the function.

4. What are some real-life applications of derivatives?

Derivatives have a wide range of real-life applications, including predicting the motion of objects in physics, determining the optimal production level in economics, and analyzing the growth of populations in biology. They are also used in engineering, finance, and many other fields.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when working with derivatives?

Although derivatives are incredibly useful, they also have some limitations and challenges. These can include complex functions with multiple variables, non-differentiable points, and the need for precise mathematical calculations. It is important to be aware of these challenges and to use appropriate methods and tools when working with derivatives.

Back