Is This the Correct Solution for Kirchhoff's Loop Problem?

In summary, the problem is to find the values of I1, I2, and I3 in a circuit diagram. The three equations given are x=I1, y=I2, and z=I3, along with the equations 12y-24+35x=0, 35x+34z-18=0, and x=y+z. The values for I1, I2, and I3 are calculated to be 0.508, 0.511, and 0.0029 respectively, using the sign convention that positive is in the direction of current and negative is from negative to positive plates. The solution is verified to be correct.
shrabastee

Homework Statement

We are to find I1, I2 and I3 in the diagram.

Homework Equations

These are the three equations I got. I need to know if they're correct.
x=I1
y=I2
z=I3

12y-24+35x=0
35x+34z-18=0
x=y+z

The Attempt at a Solution

Values I got on solving:
I1=0.508
I2=0.511
I3=0.0029

(Note: r=1 ohm)

kindly tell me if this is correct! :)

Attachments

• sum2.jpg
    sum2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
Sign convention followed:

In the direction of the current=positive
Negative to positive plate=negative

shrabastee said:
Sign convention followed:

In the direction of the current=positive
Negative to positive plate=negative

The solution is correct. I almost never use the voltage/loop rule.

If you give the node at the top an unknown potential V, and the node at the bottom a potential
0, you only have to use the current rule once to get a single equation for V.

Related to Is This the Correct Solution for Kirchhoff's Loop Problem?

What is the Kirchhoff loop problem?

The Kirchhoff loop problem, also known as Kirchhoff's second law or Kirchhoff's loop rule, is a fundamental principle in the study of electrical circuits. It states that the algebraic sum of the potential differences around any closed loop in a circuit must be equal to zero.

How is the Kirchhoff loop problem used in circuit analysis?

The Kirchhoff loop problem is used to determine the current flow and voltage drops in a circuit. By setting up equations using the loop rule, it is possible to solve for the unknown values and understand the behavior of the circuit.

Can the Kirchhoff loop problem be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, the Kirchhoff loop problem can be applied to any type of circuit, including series, parallel, and complex circuits. This is because it is a fundamental rule based on the conservation of energy and applies to all types of electrical circuits.

What is the difference between the Kirchhoff loop problem and Kirchhoff's node rule?

Kirchhoff's node rule, also known as Kirchhoff's first law, states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and leaving a node (or junction) in a circuit must be equal to zero. The Kirchhoff loop problem deals with potential differences around closed loops in a circuit, while the node rule deals with currents at a specific point in the circuit.

Are there any limitations or exceptions to the Kirchhoff loop problem?

The Kirchhoff loop problem is a general rule that applies to most electrical circuits. However, there are a few exceptions, such as circuits that contain non-conservative elements like capacitors and inductors. In these cases, the loop rule may need to be modified to account for the behavior of these elements.