Is this the right way to find impedance using complex power and volta

In summary, the circuit load (Z) has a complex power of 54+j46 VA when the voltage across it is 3cos(400t+-60)V. By converting the voltage to polar form and using the formula for power, the impedance of the load was found to be -0.11947- j0.04248 ohms. However, since impedance cannot be negative, the value was recalculated using the formula for current and found to be 0.0537 -j0.03486 ohms.
pokie_panda

Homework Statement

The load (Z) in the circuit below absorbs a complex power of 54+j46 VA when the voltage across it is 3cos(400t+-60)V. Use this information to determine the impedance of the load

Homework Equations

P = V^2 / Z

The Attempt at a Solution

first convert V to polar form
3 < -60
convert power to polar form
70.9<40.4
Apply the formula
V^2/P= 9<-120/70.9<-40.4
=.1268<-160.4
convert to rectangular

Z=-0.11947- j0.04248 ohms

I'm not sure if the answer is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. U can't get such funny angles... take 54 as real power, which is equal to VI cos∅. and take 46 as reactive power which is VI sin∅. You have already found the phase difference (∅) between V and I as 40.4... Now Find RMS value of V from the voltage expression given, and hence the impedance using V and I.

Last edited:
And BTW, Z=R+jX... R cannot be negative!

ShreyasR said:
Nope. Z cannot be negative... IMPOSSIBLE! Now take 54 as real power, which is equal to VI cos∅. and take 46 as reactive power which is VI sin∅. You have already found the phase difference (∅) between V and I as 40.4... Now Find RMS value of V from the voltage expression given, and hence the impedance using V and I.

Is this what your trying to say ?

So Vrms = 3/√2

Therefore solve for Irms

which is 54 = 3/√2Icos(40.1)
I=1.66

Z=(3/√2) / 1.66

Then find Z but you don't have an imaginary part ?

I will be 39.439 A... You missed a bracket there... 54 = (3/√2) I cos(40.4)... You have V=3cos(400t+-60)... Current I = 39.439√2 cos(400t+-60+40.4)... Now u can find the imaginary part? This is a complicated question...

About that part... V=3cos(400t+-60)... What do u mean by '+-'? Can you please be clear?

I just copied the function off the question, I'm assuming it's negative
Therefore
V(t)=3<-60
I(t)=39.439√2<-20.4

Z= V/I
=.0537<-39.6

X=3/29.432sqrt(2)sin(-40.4)

.0537 -j0.03486

Is that part correct

Last edited:

Related to Is this the right way to find impedance using complex power and volta

1. What is complex power and how does it relate to impedance?

Complex power is a mathematical representation of power that takes into account both the real and imaginary components of a circuit. It is related to impedance through the equation S = VI*, where S is complex power, V is voltage, and I* is the complex conjugate of current. This relationship allows us to calculate impedance using complex power and voltage measurements.

2. Why is complex power used instead of just real power?

Complex power takes into account the reactive power in a circuit, which is important for understanding the behavior of inductive and capacitive elements. Real power only considers the resistive component of power, while complex power provides a more comprehensive understanding of the power in a circuit.

3. How do you find impedance using complex power and voltage?

To find impedance using complex power and voltage, you can use the equation Z = V/I*, where Z is impedance, V is voltage, and I* is the complex conjugate of current. This equation is derived from the relationship between complex power and impedance.

4. What are the units of complex power?

The units of complex power are volt-amperes (VA).

5. Can impedance be negative when calculated using complex power and voltage?

Yes, impedance can be negative when calculated using complex power and voltage. This occurs when the circuit has a capacitive load, which results in a negative imaginary component of impedance. This negative impedance can be converted to a positive value by taking the absolute value of the complex impedance.