Is This the Right Way to Solve a Quadratic Equation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Casio1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a quadratic equation by dividing both sides by 2 and taking the square root. The final steps involve factoring and finding the values of x, which are 1 and 9. The method used is acceptable and correct.
Casio1
Hi everyone(Wink)

I have an equation which looks like quadratic to me.

2(x - 5)2 = 32

Can I divide both sides by 2?

(x - 5)2 = 16

Can I take the square root?

x - 5 = + or - 4

if x = 5 plus 4 = 9

if x = 5 - 4 = 1

Therefore my roots would be;

x = 9 or x = 1

Is this method acceptable and the correct way to find the values of x. I know it works out OK but am wondering about the way I have done it?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Casio!

(Yes) Well done. That's exactly how you should do this problem every step of the way.

Yes, that is a perfectly valid procedure. All of your steps are correct. (Nod)

After dividing by 2, we may also arrange as the difference of squares:

(x - 5)2 - 42 = 0

((x - 5) + 4)((x - 5) - 4) = 0

(x - 1)(x - 9) = 0

x = 1, 9

for sharing your equation with us. It does indeed appear to be a quadratic problem. Your method of dividing both sides by 2 and taking the square root is a valid way to solve for the values of x. However, in order to ensure accuracy, it is always a good idea to check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation. In this case, both x = 9 and x = 1 satisfy the equation, so your method is correct.

Additionally, there are other methods for solving quadratic equations, such as factoring or using the quadratic formula. It is always good to be familiar with multiple methods and choose the one that works best for a particular problem. Keep up the good work in solving quadratic problems!

FAQ: Is This the Right Way to Solve a Quadratic Equation?

What is a quadratic problem?

A quadratic problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function. It is commonly represented in the form of ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable.

What are the characteristics of a quadratic problem?

A quadratic problem has a quadratic function as its objective function and contains at least one quadratic term. It also follows the general form of ax^2 + bx + c, where a is not equal to 0.

How do you solve a quadratic problem?

There are various methods to solve a quadratic problem, such as completing the square, using the quadratic formula, or factoring. The most appropriate method depends on the specific problem and its characteristics.

What are some real-life applications of quadratic problems?

Quadratic problems have numerous real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, optimize the design of structures, analyze economic trends, and make predictions based on data.

What is the difference between a quadratic problem and a linear problem?

The main difference between a quadratic problem and a linear problem is the form of the objective function. A quadratic problem has a quadratic objective function, while a linear problem has a linear objective function. This results in different solution methods and outcomes for the two types of problems.