Is this transformation problem doable?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving Mobius transformations. The problem is to find a Mobius transformation that takes the circle |z|=1 to the circle |z+2|=1 and satisfies the conditions T(-1)=-3 and T(i)=-1. The person is having trouble understanding the problem because they think it involves mapping a quarter circle to a half circle, but the transformation is actually taking the entire circle to the entire circle. The points -1 and i are given as specific points to check the transformation's correctness.
mimsy57
We've been talking about Mobius transformations and I feel like I get it, but we just got a homework problem that isn't making sense to me.

It says: find the Mobius transformation taking the circle |z|=1 to |z+2|=1 such that T(-1)=-3 and T(i)=-1.

My problem with this is that all Mobius trans. are the composition of translations, rotations, dilations and inversions. But this SEEMS like it is doing something else because, unless I am screwing up the graphing, it is taking a quarter circle to a half circle.

Both the circle and its image have radius 1, with the first centered at the origin and the second at -2. The additional points we are given mappings for are -1 and i, which are the endpoints to an arc of a quarter circle. These are mapping to -3 and -1 which are the bounds for the half circle. This implies the mapping is going around twice for once around the circle being mapped, which would imply it is not a bijection, and Mobius transformations are bijections.

It would be great if someone could point out where I am doing something wrong in my reasoning! I don't think I need any help with the calculation part once I figure this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you're misunderstanding the problem. The Mobius transformation is not taking a quarter circle to a half circle; it's taking the entire circle |z|=1 to the entire circle |z+2|=1. The points -1 and i are just given as specific points to check that the transformation is correct. In other words, if you compute the Mobius transformation, you should be able to check that T(-1)=-3 and T(i)=-1.

Related to Is this transformation problem doable?

1. Can this transformation problem be solved using existing data?

It depends on the complexity of the problem and the availability of relevant data. Some transformation problems may require additional data to be collected or generated in order to be solvable.

2. What are the potential limitations or challenges in solving this transformation problem?

The limitations or challenges in solving a transformation problem can vary greatly depending on the specific problem. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and identify potential limitations such as lack of data, computational resources, or technical expertise.

3. Are there any existing methods or techniques that can be applied to this transformation problem?

There may be existing methods or techniques that can be applied to a transformation problem, but it is important to carefully evaluate their suitability and effectiveness for the specific problem at hand.

4. How long might it take to solve this transformation problem?

The time it takes to solve a transformation problem can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the problem, the available resources, and the expertise of the team working on it. It is important to carefully plan and allocate enough time for the problem to be solved effectively.

5. What are the potential applications or benefits of solving this transformation problem?

The applications or benefits of solving a transformation problem can vary greatly depending on the specific problem and its context. It is important to carefully consider the potential impact and benefits of solving the problem before investing time and resources into it.